Engine Overhaul ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Overhaul ?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-28-2002, 09:14 AM   #1
unreal33

Engine Overhaul ?

My Jeep just turned 109k - & since I have an oil change on the way I was wondering about maybe doing an engine overhaul. Someone mentioned to me that if I were to use some Oil additive, to basicaly clean out all the **** thats been built up I may breathe some life back into my jeep. The whole process would basicaly be An oil change every 1000 {or so} miles, w/ every change adding a new can of the Additive. & of course after a few thousand miles of this change out the sparks & air filter. Anyone ever here of such a thing ? Alternatives ? thanks

unreal33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2002, 11:57 PM   #2
94gclimited

Is there something the engine is doing right now such as lifter tick, rod knock, oil burning, etc? If you at least don't have any ticks or knocks the engine is still in good shape for the most part. No matter which engine you have be it the I6 or 318, you can get well over 200k if you at least keep the oil changed. For preventative maintenance I would flush out the engine with some engine flush. I flushed mine twice in one sittting because I would lose oil pressure after driving about 25min because of sludge and dirt in the engine. Do that and put some Lucas or Restore in your Jeep and you'll be fine. No need for a rebuild at 109k if the engine doesn't make any noise.
Jason
94gclimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2002, 07:18 AM   #3
unreal33

Yea, there isn't any internal oil burning - Only problem is a leaking rear main seal. Thinking about just using some silicone to seal up the leak - rather then drop 300 bucks on it. {since its leaking on the exhaust header, it stinks}

Other than that, I have no ticks or knocks, & my idle is still smooth as well. I was just thinking It may be a good time. -how many miles did you drive on the restore before flushing ?
unreal33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2002, 06:33 PM   #4
JeepGuyRyan

I have to agree, if it isn't doing anything bad, just leave it alone. The I-6 4.0 is a very very reliable engine and I'm still waiting to hear on the reliability of the dodge 5.2 that has been around since the 60s, so I would think thats a good reliable engine as well.
Unread 08-31-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
94gclimited

When I bought my Jeep at 118k, I flushed the engine twice because mine was so dirty that I actually lost oil pressure several times when driving a long time. One of the idiot previous owners rarely changed oil which is what caused it. As far as the reliability of the 5.2 goes, lets just say that it has run before with virtually no oil pressure and it was ticking pretty bad and after flushing it out twice the engine seems to be fine. The 5.2 is also almost identical in design to the old 340 and has been used before in cop cars in the late 70's. It is definitely every bit as tough as the I6. After flushing it out, I put some restore in not because it really needed anything like that but because the engine is old and has no doubt lost a little compression over the years from wear. It has worked in other vehicles i've owned and it seemed to work in my Jeep. Just put some in at every oil change.
Jason
94gclimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.