engine light help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > engine light help!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-17-2003, 08:34 PM   #1
pygocentrus

engine light help!

i broke my driveshaft for my 4x4 (under the steering wheel), and when i took it off, my engine light came on. will it turn back off when i replace the driveshaft, or what do i have to do?

[color=darkgray]mods:[/color][color=gray] 3 chamber magnaflow[/color]

[color=darkgray]upcoming mods: [/color][color=gray] throttle body, intake, and headers, 3" lift, tires, and system [i](if I can save enough $)[/i][/color]
pygocentrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 08:48 PM   #2
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygocentrus
i broke my driveshaft for my 4x4 (under the steering wheel), and when i took it off, my engine light came on. will it turn back off when i replace the driveshaft, or what do i have to do?

I don't think there are any sensors that would notice the drivshaft missing. Have you done anything else to it lately? After you get it back together disconect the battery for a couple mins to reset the computer. That will reset the light i believe. If it comes on again you have some other problem to address.
The best way is to plug it into a diagnostic computer and get the error code.

--John
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
BIGJMCCONNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2003, 09:40 PM   #3
pygocentrus

how do i get the error code? does it cost anything? my budget is shot since the driveshaft and other stuff.

[color=darkgray]upcoming mods: [/color][color=gray] throttle body, intake, and headers, 3" lift, tires, and system [i](if I can save enough $)[/i][/color]
Unread 11-18-2003, 01:13 AM   #4
pygocentrus

hmm, the check engine light isnt on anymore.....

Unread 11-18-2003, 02:51 AM   #5
thephantum
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, the light is off now so the point is kinda moot....

I don't know if you have Auto Zone's there, but they will pull codes for you for free. I'm not sure if Napa does it as well. You can also get a real basic code reader for around $150 or so...problem is you just get the code. I have an book that I bought with my FSM that has all the codes and what they mean. I'm sure that stuff is online somewhere though.

Rock On!

Steve

[B][size=3][url=http://www.links4jeeps.com/in.php?id=893/]Links 4 Jeeps - Yup, they're free here too[/url][/size][/B]

[URL=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA_Chapter/VA_Members.htm#cname]
97 XJ Sport 2 door with a bunch of stuff[/URL]

[url=http://www.fm2cd.com/chapters/VA%20Chapter/VA%20Members.htm#dname]
02 TJ Sport with a bunch of stuff[/url][/center]
thephantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2003, 08:53 PM   #6
Trevor Khoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygocentrus

I have a 93 gc 5.2 and my viscous coupler is broken in my transker case. My part time fix to this was to take off my drive shaft and I have not had any lights come on from that. It is also pretty cool to smoke the rear tires next to some import car and say that it is completly stock. So I would say that it is taking your driveshaft out is not causing the light to come on.
Trevor Khoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2003, 11:18 PM   #7
pygocentrus

yeah its weird, the light went off and never came back on. so i guess it was a freak accident or something.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.