engine light help! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-17-2003, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
pygocentrus

engine light help!

i broke my driveshaft for my 4x4 (under the steering wheel), and when i took it off, my engine light came on. will it turn back off when i replace the driveshaft, or what do i have to do?

98 GC limited 5.2 4x4

mods: 3 chamber magnaflow

upcoming mods: throttle body, intake, and headers, 3" lift, tires, and system (if I can save enough $)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-17-2003, 08:48 PM
BIGJMCCONNELL
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygocentrus
i broke my driveshaft for my 4x4 (under the steering wheel), and when i took it off, my engine light came on. will it turn back off when i replace the driveshaft, or what do i have to do?

I don't think there are any sensors that would notice the drivshaft missing. Have you done anything else to it lately? After you get it back together disconect the battery for a couple mins to reset the computer. That will reset the light i believe. If it comes on again you have some other problem to address.
The best way is to plug it into a diagnostic computer and get the error code.

--John

1977 CJ-7 with Ford 302 engine
2.5 inch springs Matkins Frame with 1.5 inch body lift and all Fiberglass body D30/M20 w/3.54 gears, Moser 1-piece and Rear Aussie Locker, Jeep T-18w/Dana 20 and 35" tires Dual Flowmaster Exhaust, 6 point roll cage, OBA and a bunch of other stuff.
MY RIG
post #3 of 7 Old 11-17-2003, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
pygocentrus

how do i get the error code? does it cost anything? my budget is shot since the driveshaft and other stuff.

98 GC limited 5.2 4x4

upcoming mods: throttle body, intake, and headers, 3" lift, tires, and system (if I can save enough $)
post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2003, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
pygocentrus

hmm, the check engine light isnt on anymore.....

98 GC limited 5.2 4x4

post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2003, 02:51 AM
thephantum

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, the light is off now so the point is kinda moot....

I don't know if you have Auto Zone's there, but they will pull codes for you for free. I'm not sure if Napa does it as well. You can also get a real basic code reader for around $150 or so...problem is you just get the code. I have an book that I bought with my FSM that has all the codes and what they mean. I'm sure that stuff is online somewhere though.

Rock On!

Steve
post #6 of 7 Old 11-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Trevor Khoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygocentrus

I have a 93 gc 5.2 and my viscous coupler is broken in my transker case. My part time fix to this was to take off my drive shaft and I have not had any lights come on from that. It is also pretty cool to smoke the rear tires next to some import car and say that it is completly stock. So I would say that it is taking your driveshaft out is not causing the light to come on.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2003, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
pygocentrus

yeah its weird, the light went off and never came back on. so i guess it was a freak accident or something.

98 GC limited 5.2 4x4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.