Engine Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Leak

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-07-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
slaterny

Engine Leak

I just switched to synthetic oil a few months ago, and when I went to get my state inspection, the mechanic said that he saw a rear main leak...wanted to charge me $250 to fix...should I get this fixed?...will the leak stop eventually? I responded to this thread in the "General" forum, but thought I might get better/more responses here...below is the quote from another poster about this being related to the syth oil switch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by osburn
Yeah, by all means. What are ya waiting for?

Expect a rear main leak afterwards. It'll be clearing out the crud buildup and leaks are common. But a small leak is better than the crud.

Unread 10-07-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
Harald

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaterny
I just switched to synthetic oil a few months ago, and when I went to get my state inspection, the mechanic said that he saw a rear main leak...wanted to charge me $250 to fix...should I get this fixed?...will the leak stop eventually? I responded to this thread in the "General" forum, but thought I might get better/more responses here...below is the quote from another poster about this being related to the syth oil switch...

Be no longer confused. Do not know your engine too well, but later models than 1990 in general use a one piece oil seal. To replace; the gear box, flywheel/driveplate will have to come off to get access to the seal. Anticipate 2 days work all together. This if you are certain it is the oil seal and not the gasket. Or leak from the tranny. I would say $250 not a bad price. Get it fixed.

Switching from "normal" to synthetic oil. After any engine have been running for some time, lube oil will carbonize on surfaces and give a "perfect" tolerance (fit). Switching to synthetic will clean the engine. In other words you will loose the perfect fit, and you will have leaks. These leaks may disappear after a while as the new oil starts the same carbonizing process. But in your case, I would not count on it. Just because oil does not easily carbonize at either end of the crankshaft (if at all). We, that open up engines from time to time, can easily see if an engine has been running on "normal" or synthetic oil. It is quite a difference. My GC has been running 110K since day one on synthetic, I will not take the chance on switching to "normal" oil.

Happy with this response?
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.