engine dies, won't start, sentry key light stays on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > engine dies, won't start, sentry key light stays on

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
navest

engine dies, won't start, sentry key light stays on

I've got a 99 Grand Cherokee and recently it started dying occasionally. It's rare -- maybe once a week -- and it usually happens when coasting. When it happens, the sentry key light indicator comes on and stays on. The car will crank but won't start. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes before it will start again, sometimes it takes much longer. I've tried using the spare key to see if, perhaps, it was a problem with the key, but it happens with both.

I've taken it to a jeep mechanic (non dealer) twice and he said he can't figure it out.

Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks!

navest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2006, 10:41 AM   #2
turbinesurgeon

What engine does it have?
turbinesurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
navest

Good question -- sorry. It has the V-8.
navest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #4
ALXinya

my 4.0 does that sometimes for two reasons (2 different occasions). One will be the keyless entry. sometimes it has a mind of it's own. So next time it happens, check to see if you have spark. If you don't, then it's the keyless. If you do then it might be the fuel filter. This happens to me often because I use gas that comes out of the cars that we scrap at our business and sometimes it can get dirt in it during the transfer. In both cases though the car will die then start up again after while.
My other jeep that I had, a 96' did it forever. The damn keyless entry was so screwed up I don't think I ever was able to fix it completely.
ALXinya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
zjay

If it has the grey SKIM key, the module can store a code if it sees a problem like a wrong key or no SKIM messages to the PCM, etc, but only the dealer can retrieve them. It might point in the general direction of the problem.
zjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
wmchurch

I don't have one of those fancy WJs, but to me it sounds like a bad battery, or bad connections on the battery. Happened to me on the ZJ, it was loose cable clamps. The alarm would go off (no horn just lights) and it wouldn't start. I would disable the alarm and get a jump and it would be fine for weeks.

I always thought I left a light on or something, until one day it happened in a parking lot, a guy was walking by and saw me fiddling with it and he said check the clamps. I'm like, yeah sure whatever (being a typical man) and I said, yeah I checked that. After he left I tightened them down and what do you know, hehe it worked.

Anyway, may apply to you, may not. It's worth checking out since it's a free fix to clean and re-clamp the battery connections.
wmchurch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Brak66

My 2004 grand is doing the same thing... it just decides not to start sometimes, and when it does start, after driving about 5 minutes the sentry key light comes on. Mine has never stalled out when driving though, only immediately after start up. I check the codes and it thew a "non skis key" code basically saying that the key I was using wasnt a sentry key... even though it was. I tried disconnecting the battery and that only helped for about a day. I have an appointment with my stealership on wedensday, hopefully they can figure this out. I have a feeling the skis system is shot or needs reprogramed. In the owners manual it says that "if the skis light stays on while driving there is an electrical problem and you sould take it to the dealership", that really tells me alot.

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE - 4.7L V8[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Brak66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
01grander

Theres a ring in there that can go bad aparently its like a sensor. I got an aftermarket key and the mechanic thought it might be the reason but it ended up just being the key.
Plenty of Hellas.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
Brak66

Is the ring in the unit in the steering column or is it in the key itself? I have two grey (sentry) keys and both do the same thing..

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="4"]2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE - 4.7L V8[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Brak66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.