Engine Cooling issue.. any suggestions?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Cooling issue.. any suggestions??

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
mshelgosh

Engine Cooling issue.. any suggestions??

Long time owner first time poster.. Got a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Just replaced the water pump after it was leaking out the weep holes a few weeks ago... After a month of driving.. everything was fine.. then .. one of the hose retaing clips worked its way loose off the return side of the water pump. I fixed that... now I filled it up with water.. and what little bit of coolant I had left... and intermittently.. the temp guage spikes to the red zone.. and the resevoir bubbles. Also the radiator cap.. ( I made sure it was on tight ) is releasing pressure. Any suggestions??? Open to all suggestions. Thanks again.. Oh one last thing.. when th3e temp is about to spike.. the AC doesnt blow cool air.. when it drops back down the ac kicks cool air again... Thanks again

Mark

mshelgosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like a great big ol' air bubble to me...
Run the engine to operating temp, turn the heat on high and let it run. Shut it down, squeeze the top radiator hose to force air out of it. Repeat. Though it isn't specified, it might help to park with the nose pointing up a bit.

HTH
Unread 04-05-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
mshelgosh

Ok now it seesm that my engine is runnig a little hot.... thius morning when temp was at around 220... I turned on the heater and all it did was blow cold air. Even though the engine was warm it only had hot air for immediatley when I turned it on, then it dissipated and went to blowing cool air. This afternoon... the heater worked fine and temp stayed at around 220. Any suggestions? I alrready did the bleeding of the cooling lines ( no air in the system as far as I can tell ) LEt mw know what you guys think.
Thanks

Mark
mshelgosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
PDshooter

Sounds to me Rad, time?I have a 97GC with 147K this summer I'll be replaceing the rad.
MOS 63H 11B 43E
PDshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2004, 05:04 PM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

You replaced the water pump so itís not that and if it was the fan then you should still get heat. It sounds like a flow problem. Either the drive belt is loose causing the water pump not to pump coolant well enough or there is a clog in the system limiting the flow.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.