Engine Cleaning Tips? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Cleaning Tips?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 05-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
EveryDayZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Engine Cleaning Tips?

Hey guys, I am wanting to do a good cleaning on my 4.0, it is beyond filthy and caked with dust/grime/grease/oil. It's literally covering the entire lower of the engine, I know I have a rowdy leak of oil in probably more then one spot. (Front main?) and definitely valve cover.

With it being so extremely caked, what is the best method of cleaning this off? What products have you had results with? What steps did you take to ensure no damage to anything in the engine bay with electronics and such, what can I hit with product and water and not worry? (alternator is filthy as hell from the oil leak too.)

Once it's clean it will be easier to diagnose where leaks are I'm figuring.

Can a few of you guys who have had to deal with this much build up on a engine and got it back to a manageable and kept engine and bay share your experiences and tips?

Thanks in advance!

EveryDayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayZeeJay View Post
Hey guys, I am wanting to do a good cleaning on my 4.0, it is beyond filthy and caked with dust/grime/grease/oil. It's literally covering the entire lower of the engine, I know I have a rowdy leak of oil in probably more then one spot. (Front main?) and definitely valve cover.

With it being so extremely caked, what is the best method of cleaning this off? What products have you had results with? What steps did you take to ensure no damage to anything in the engine bay with electronics and such, what can I hit with product and water and not worry? (alternator is filthy as hell from the oil leak too.)

Once it's clean it will be easier to diagnose where leaks are I'm figuring.

Can a few of you guys who have had to deal with this much build up on a engine and got it back to a manageable and kept engine and bay share your experiences and tips?

Thanks in advance!
Note: This is just what I've heard people using, not my personal experience so it really means nothing.

I've heard a lot about people using simple green, mixing it with water and throwing it in a squirt bottle. They just squirt it right onto the engine and then wash it off with a hose.(do not pressure wash your engine).
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

I've had the best luck degreasing engines and engine compartments using Foamy Engine Brite. The foamy kind seems to stick better during the soak-degrease cycle. The regular engine brite seems to leave its own gel/grease residue.

I've also had good luck with one of those bottles you attach to a hose that usually comes with garden products, and filling it with Super Clean. The water picks up the degreaser and it comes out in a strong jet.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

I did my engine bay, buy a can of engine degreaser, spray it, wait 5 minutes and then hose it off.

do it again if needed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
StrateLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
JohnCrabtree
1994 ZJ 

Would you have to worry about getting water on electronics/in your cylinders if you just used a garden hose rather than power washing? I've always been hesitant to wash my engine bay because of all the horror stories I've heard about having to buy a brand new PCM or having a misfire because some got past your spark plug.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
JohnCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

I used to liked purple stuff, but wow Simple Green really works.

Every time I use that engine degreaser in a can, I get a white film that won't wash away.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCrabtree View Post
Would you have to worry about getting water on electronics/in your cylinders if you just used a garden hose rather than power washing? I've always been hesitant to wash my engine bay because of all the horror stories I've heard about having to buy a brand new PCM or having a misfire because some got past your spark plug
Do not power wash your engine! Garden hose should be fine, a plus if you can hook it up to warm or hot water. When I do mine I cover anything sketchy with aluminum foil (don't cover your battery with foil though, just disconnect it and remove it) such as the pcm, distributor cap, and alternator, also the belt if you left it in. Everything else should be more or less water resistant. Oh yeah and cover your throttle body if you take the intake off of it.
Basically apply whatever degreasing solvent you choose, let it sit, and rinse. It helps to have a soft thin brush to help get in all the nooks too. Repeat as needed. When it's done you can use a leaf blower or air compressor to blow the excess water out of all those nooks.
Then I personally like to apply some sort of engine shine/coating so it'll be easier to clean the next time.

Also don't run it while you're rinsing/cleaning it and make sure your manifold isn't blazing hot when you hose it off or you'll crack it.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
StrateLOSS
1998 ZJ 

there are many techniques, personally I just do it the way I posted above, never had an issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
StrateLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Toothbrush, engine degreaser, and elbow grease. I got my niner with 230,000 miles. I don't think it had ever been washed, inside or out. I fixed that.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
image-537278646.jpg  
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.