Engine Bay Wire Cleanup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Engine Bay Wire Cleanup

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
ELMCZJ95

Engine Bay Wire Cleanup

So I have a bit of a mess around my battery terminals, wiring for 2 sets of lights with relays, and I was wondering what methods you guys have used to consolidate the wires and make it look more compact? I've done a ton of searching on the forum and the fuse boxes/distribution blocks seem much too complicated for me, I only have a basic knowledge on wiring. So what are you guys doing to clean up your wires?

Unread 09-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

When I was trying to put an electric fan in front of my 4.0 I found a relay/fuse block on a Saab that held two relays, four ATO fuses, and two Maxi fuses. As for wiring I love corrugated tubing sealed at the ends with adhesive lined shrink wrap.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
ELMCZJ95

Do you have any writeup on the fuse box install? I'm literally lost with how to put those in.
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

Some are using these... if it is just the wires you are trying to clean up. Also may consider a weather proof junction box from HD or Lowes and put your relays, etc in there.
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
x10radsponge
1998 ZJ 

Quick search found this weather proof box for trailers.
x10radsponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMCZJ95 View Post
Do you have any writeup on the fuse box install? I'm literally lost with how to put those in.
No write up, sorry, it was awhile ago. It's pretty easy. Each pin for the relays and fuses has a single wire connector that you can remove from the box by using a pick to release a tab or clip usually. Then you can solder your new wires to the connector. You can also just leave a few inches of wire attached and splice to that. The mounting was pretty simple.

This is the box I used. I just googled it and found a pic. Looks like I was misremembering the fuse count. It's from a Saab 9000 and it was on the fender. It has an easy mounting bracket and a nice weatherproof clear cover.
saab-fuse2.jpg

zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.