engine additives? maintaining an old zj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > engine additives? maintaining an old zj

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
wakajaka
1998 ZJ 

engine additives? maintaining an old zj

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys use any engine additives like lucas or seafoam in your car?

I have a 98 ZJ with the 4.0 with 210k miles. It's always starts up right away, great engine, but I was wondering if there were any simple things I could do to keep it running for another 100k miles. I love this car and want to see it keep running as long as it can.

Best,
Jacob

wakajaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Keep changing the fluids at a the proper intervals is the best thing for it.
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
Keep changing the fluids at a the proper intervals is the best thing for it.
+++1 Free flowing oil is all you need, especially in your climate. Engine oil is already formulated with the best additive package. Don't thicken it up or dilute it with snake oil. You will never find an automotive engineer that has anything good to say about off the shelf additives.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
wakajaka
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the replies! You guys confirmed what I already thought. I figured my gas and oil already have the important additives and detergents and it's been running fine on those so far.
wakajaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
LouC
2007 WK 

Agree with the above. Keep the oil changed and maintain the cooling system so it does not overheat. I do use high mileage oil in mine (Valvoline Maxlife). 145,000 miles and still running great.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.