elimitating trak-lok - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > elimitating trak-lok

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 08-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
dksob81

elimitating trak-lok

I have a 98 5.9Limited - DANA44 rear-end w/ trak-lok. well it making a horrible clunking/groaning noise while turning and sometimes after turning while going straight. I would like to eliminate the trak-lok unless someone knows how to get rid of this noise. I have already done a fluid change and added Mopar Friction Modifier and followed the procedure in the FSM of driving in a figure 8 pattern repeatedly to lubrcate everything and it still has this noise.
Any help would be much appreciated.

joe

dksob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

The only way to eliminate the trak-lock would be to swap in a standard (open) carrier. That will require having your ring and pinion professionally set up for proper gear mesh pattern.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

how do the spider gears look?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

get it rebuilt or get an open carrier set up for it. either solution is a minimum of a couple hundred dollars.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
dksob81

well if anything i would rebuild it myself. do you think the noise is just worn out clutches?
dksob81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
kingvm
2005 WK 

I would lean toward checking the spider and side gears. The traclock should not cause noise when going straight and if it is trashed you probably would have found trash and pieces in the diff when you changed the oil.
Unread 08-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #7
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

had the same issue with my 5.9.... the 2 clutches that are used as a "spring" in the trac loc system on mine blew apart into like 15 peices..... it looked ok when i pulled the cover off, but when i took the clutches out, i saw the damage

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.