Electroluminescent gauges 2002 -->2000 Direct Swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electroluminescent gauges 2002 -->2000 Direct Swap?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 12-05-2009, 10:46 PM   #1
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Electroluminescent gauges 2002 -->2000 Direct Swap?

Hey,

I was reading WJJeeps and saw that they came out with the electroluminescent gauges in 2002. Can you do a direct swap on an earlier model? (2000 for example? )

Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #2
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

I would like to know as well actually.
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #3
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Here it is. I found the answer:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Electroluminescent gauges 2002

...just had to keep looking.
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, while not the same as yours, I'm putting those gauges in my wife's 04 Laredo. To make things simpler for me, I chose some '04 gauges. Now, as far as the odometer issue, switching between '99-'01 WJ's isn't too bad. The odometer is on it's separate board, and can be swapped out independently of the main gauge cluster board. Switching between '02-'04 WJ's requires the odmeters to be unsoldered, swapped, and resoldered. Because of the differences between the odometers from '01 to '02, it's not possible to swap between '99-'01 WJ's and '02-'04 WJ's, unless you don't care about the mileage difference. If you swap the intire cluster between those, all the gauges will work fine.

I found a set of '01 white-faced Limited gauges (non-Electroluminescent), and I tried to swap just the gauges, using my original cluster housing with the original odometer. While the speedo and tach both worked fine, the four small gauges gave funky-untrue readings. So, there is a cluster board wiring difference between the '99-'01 and '02-'04 guage clusters.

If you are interested in the '01 Limited white face gauges I have, you are welcome to them for price of shipping. You should be able to swap out the individual gauges from this, and put into your original cluster, thus, keeping your original odmoter intact.

Here is what the '01 White Faced Limited gauges look like:

Here's what they look like at night:

Although this '01 cluster isn't as bold as the Electroluminescent ones, some people prefer these because they are not as bright as the Electroluminescent gauges.

Hope this gives you an insight on what's involved.

Jerry
Unread 12-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
I found a set of '01 white-faced Limited gauges (non-Electroluminescent), and I tried to swap just the gauges, using my original cluster housing with the original odometer. While the speedo and tach both worked fine, the four small gauges gave funky-untrue readings. So, there is a cluster board wiring difference between the '99-'01 and '02-'04 guage clusters.
You say you tried to put the '01 gauges on your '04 and that's what gave you the funky readings? I'll send you a PM for the shipping $. Thank you so much for all the info!

Unread 12-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JGC00 View Post
You say you tried to put the '01 gauges on your '04 and that's what gave you the funky readings? I'll send you a PM for the shipping $. Thank you so much for all the info!

I PMed ya! I just wanted to clarify to everyone. I first swapped out the '01 gauges (they plug in and out of the main cluster board) into my '04 cluster housing. This is when I got the funky readings from the four small gauges, while the tach and speedo worked fine. Now, I put everything back, then, I tried to swap the whole '01 cluster (with the '01 gauges) and plugged it right in the gauge harness in the '04 WJ. All gauges worked fine, the only issue is the odmeter reading, it shows what the mileage was for the previous WJ that the cluster came in. In my case, it was almost a 100K mile difference, so, that won't fly! I hope this makes it a little more clear,

Jerry

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.