Electrical woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical woes

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
KiloWatts
1996 ZJ 

Electrical woes

Came home from out of town to find a dead battery and a sopping wet passenger floorboard (dangit, I thought I fixed that).

But the main issue is some electrical wonkiness. When I turn the car off, certain things continue to run. The AC stays on and the overhead console lights stay on. After turning the ignition off, I can hear some buzzing electrical shorting going on somewhere under the passenger dash.

Is this enough info for a forum post, or should I just bring it to an electrical professional?

KiloWatts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

f you just want to poke around and maybe happen upon the problem, take the passenger side kick panel off and check for water.

if you dont have/know how to use a meter, you're pretty much hosed. i can post up a bunch of diagrams, but if you dont know what they mean, it's futile.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
KiloWatts
1996 ZJ 

I do have a meter, but my meter knowledge is very slim, and I don't have a ton of time to learn right now. I was out of town for 3 weeks when this happened... Most likely the AC evap drained into the cabin and shorted something which turned on the AC/lights/dash and drained the battery.

Very frustrating, considering I fixed the AC drain last month, which *should've* fixed the water issue. (I cut the hole in the wheel-well and everything)
Unread 07-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Pull the PDC and check for water behind/in the PDC (fusebox). It seems only 3 other people and I are the ones to have this problem but take a look and see. My Jeep did some weird stuff after I shut it off as far as keeping interior stuff on.
Unread 07-16-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

mykey... you mean the junction block in the cab or the pdc under the hood? the pdc isn't generally susceptible to water unless the engine pukes.
Unread 07-16-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, the PDC. The power distribution center under the passenger side kick panel. That's not the PDC? Fusebox maybe? I dunno. Water gets in = bad. That's what I know.
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the one under passenger kick panel is the junction block. it's a sub station, so to speak, of the PDC.
Unread 07-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
KiloWatts
1996 ZJ 

Taking it to the mechanic. If water mucked up the electrical, I don't know where to start. This AC drain water issue has turned out to be the bane of my existence.
Unread 07-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
thatbaldguy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Why dont you take off the covering and allow air to dry things out, pour water into the vent at the windshield base with koolaid so you can see the color flowing, wrap the stuff with plastic bags once ithas dried - ride on.
thatbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.