Electrical question. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Raimundo
1993 ZJ 

Electrical question.

I need advice here please. My starter went bad. I was noticing a slow turn, like a lack of power when cranking, and it finally got stuck and I jus had it replaced yesterday. I took it to the store for a charging system check, and they tell me that the battery was only 40% charged, they asked if I had replaced the alternator ( yes I did a few months ago).They tell me that if I didn't charge the battery to a 100% that time, the new alternator would not bring the charge up to 100%, that it only maintains whatever charge the battery has. Is that true?. I thought alternators kept battery's charge to a 100%. Also and very important. What do you guys think about GEL Battery?. Are they SAFE AND WORTH THE MONEY?. Any risk of catching fire? I still have a slow cranking and the gauge goes all the way down to 9Vts. Please advice. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM
Oldfrog
2007 WK 

It takes a lot of driving to charge the battery up to 100% after being that low, but it WILL charge it IF the battery and charging system is good.

Load test the battery. I bet it has a bad cell. You can try charging it overnight on an automatic charger too. My guess is that you have a bad battery. As for Gel cell batteries, some boat owners swear by them. I just dont know if I'd spend the money for one on my ZJ, though.

2007 5.7 Hemi, Ltd. QD II -
1997 ZJ, 4,0 select trac, Up country, track lok.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 12:40 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimundo View Post
( yes I did a few months ago).They tell me that if I didn't charge the battery to a 100% that time, the new alternator would not bring the charge up to 100%, that it only maintains whatever charge the battery has. Is that true?
Not true. The alternator will eventually charge a low or dead battery. It's really hard on the battery and alternator since the battery isn't designed to be discharged that low and recharged by the alternator and the alternator will be working extra hard to charge the battery.

Remember that parts stores do not usually provide training to their employees.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post

Remember that parts stores do not usually provide training to their employees.
LOL'ed

93 ZJ 5.2V8 3.5 iro 31x10.5
08 Silverado 6in lift 35's
post #5 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

I have a diehard platinum in mine which I believe is a gel battery. Got it on sale at sears. Matter of fact it is a marine battery cause I wanted the auxillary post. So far," battery been good to me".

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #6 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Raimundo
1993 ZJ 

That's what I thought. I will charge the battery overnight and test it again after a couple of days. Now, if I buy a GEL battery, will I need a more amps alternator?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 03:33 PM
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

No, your stock alternator will work fine.

Gel batteries have been around for awhile now and work just like a regular battery. No weird risks or modifications needed. You aren't supposed to charge them on the big fast chargers at the parts store but some people do and they seem to be okay. You shouldn't charge a regular battery that fast either but people do.

The gel batteries tend to have a bit more life to them and you can mount them in creative positions. I saw plenty of them (Optima) go bad a couple of years just like regular batteries when I sold parts. For my money a regular battery works just fine.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Yeah, the optimas have a following where some say they are great and others not so much. Johnson controls makes them now, same company that makes walmart batteries. I used walmart batteries until this one because even though they usually lasted till the expire date I figured I would try something different.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #9 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Raimundo
1993 ZJ 

So, for what you guys say, I should be fine with a regular one. The guy at the store recommended to get a 750 or higher or so ( I don't know much about this), when he tested it, it was only 40% charged.I guess that's why I'm getting slow cranking and the gauge goes down to the beginning of the orange mark (9)? If I decide to go GEL, what brand do you guys recommend?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM
edpmedic
1995 ZJ 

Just my opinion but I have had batteries sit on the side of my house for a year or more. Took them out of the car's my kids wrecked. Put one into a friends car showing at 10.2 volts. It started the car and was charged within 50 miles of driving to 12.6 and maintained a 14.2 voltage while running.

Is yours putting out at least 14.2 volts while running and at least 12.6 when not running. You say you have a new alternator was it bench tested before installed? There is also under the battery tray on the frame a sensor that controls voltage. It increases or decreases voltage related to ambient temp. Sometimes but rarely does it go bad. Usually corrosion causes a problem. Now if the alternator is ok, belt tight, or tensioner is working properly I should say. That the sulfation or the 3 minute test along with the cranking test show a bad battery then it might just be a bad battery. I would make sure the alternator is working at proper specifications.

Never4get those who gave their lives on 09-11-01 WTC and Pentagon. FDNY-EMS-NYPD-PAPD. Also those who are still dying.
"Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well."
Mahatma Gandhi
post #11 of 11 Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Raimundo
1993 ZJ 

A sensor under the tray? Mine is a '93, I haven't seen any sensor there but I'll double check tomorrow. Is it (if I have it) connected between the ALT. and the battery? In mine, the cables run from the ALT. to the BATT. and then to the fuse box,,,,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.