Electrical problems...starter? battery? ECU? help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical problems...starter? battery? ECU? help!

Steinjager TJ tube doorsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!JK Rear Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Electrical problems...starter? battery? ECU? help!

Afternoon,

Yesterday my 98 ZJ struggled to start the two times I went out in it and I had to hold my foot on the pedal a little to keep the engine going.

Today I went out to start the jeep and it wouldn't start, it was very sluggish to start over and failed thn started clicking. I thought it might be a low battery so I jumped the Jeep and even then it was sluggish to start and between trying to start one time I turn on the ignition there was a 12v register on the voltage gauge and the next it shows nothing and the engine just clicks.

Eventually I got the jeep to start but once again I had to hold my foot on the pedal a little to give it some fuel to keep it going, after a minute or so it would run ok to drive...not that I trusted it to go anywhere.

After turning it off it once again would turn over very sluggishly and wouldn't fire... after a couple of tries it just clicked loudly. I checked the battery and it registers 12v and the doors lock and unlock strongly.

With the clicking I would suspect the starter motor but what is puzzling me it the battery / fuel gauages not always registering anything and the screen showing 'check battery'.

Has anyone had this and can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks

RockingDad

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Check wiring connections and get the battery load tested.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It sounds like your battery cables or a connection problem (ground).
You can get a reading of 12 volts with a meter but when the system requires higher amps, the connections won't allow it.
Here is a write up that deals with just that kind of problems. Check the whole system so you can avoid other related problems in the future.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Rockingdad
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the link to the troubleshooting post/guides. I'll work through them and repost what i've cleaned/checked/repaired if required and post back for those who may find this post in a search for a similar problem...will take me a few days though because of work etc and having the time to go through everything.... but as you say, if I go through checking everything in the list anyway it might save me some pain later on.

Cheers

RockingDad
Unread 04-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
98lmtdJay

My 98 with 5.2l when the battery went acted the same way. New battery and it was good to go. I think they maybe power hungry.
98lmtdJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98lmtdJay View Post
My 98 with 5.2l when the battery went acted the same way. New battery and it was good to go. I think they maybe power hungry.
the alternators aren't self exciting.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.