Electrical problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical problems?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 01-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Electrical problems?

Ok so in the past 8 months I have had to change the alternator 5 times. This last time when I started the truck a noise arose and the volts droped. I drove home from work when I got home and turned the truck off smoke came from the alternator for a few mins. I replaced it all seems to be fine. Has anyone had the same prob? And does this sound normal? I'm at a loss about it. I also have the 5.9 136 amp alternaator.

homerx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

That doesn't sound normal at all. Start with the easy things. Check the condition of the bat, grounds, power cables, alt harness, etc. Make sure the power has a good clean path to follow.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Ok battery is brand new. It's the auto zone optima battery.
Unread 01-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #4
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

toasting that many alternators is a sign of wiring problems somewhere. Are the wires heavily corroded? what is the condition of the grounds? Do you have some sort of draw overworking the alternator like an amp and sub, or using a crazy amount of lights or something? Something is definitely overworking the alternator... it's possible the computer is having the alt locked on full open, but that would probably fry any battery after a single 30 min drive or two. Only other thing that comes to mind is belt related but you'd probably have killed everything else and destroyed dozens of belts if it was tightened down that much.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
homerx
1993 ZJ 

i was thinking that it might be the wires so tomarrow im gona change them ill let ya know what happeneds
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Ok so I changed the wires and put it all back together. Now when I turn the key to on position there's a clicking noise. When I go to start it it just cranks. No Gas smell so I don't think I'm getting fuel to the engine.
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #7
homerx
1993 ZJ 

I also used 4 gage wire
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

What wires did you replace? Something to do with the alternator or the sparkplug wires? I'm kinda confused by the story your posts are telling. What exactly is your problem now?

edit: I see you ninja posted. The only thing I can say is make sure you have good crimps or solder joints at the eyes of the 4 gauge wires and also make sure you haven't shorted anything out.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
homerx
1993 ZJ 

Lmao Sry for the ninja post. Ok I replaces the ground wire that runs from battery to body. I also did the ground that runs from the bak of alt to the battery. (It's the black box behind the alt.) And I replaced the power wires that run from the alt to the connector under the fuse box. Cut the stock connector out and put a screw down connector.

When I put the key in and turn it everything seems to get power.
Unread 01-25-2014, 03:54 PM   #10
homerx
1993 ZJ 

i figured it out. i missed a ground wire. truck runs again
Unread 01-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Chrysler grounds strike again, huh?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.