electrical issue please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > electrical issue please help

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 06-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Scibbyz99WJ
1999 WJ 

electrical issue please help

installed new halo headlights.

worked fine for two days. one headlight burned out, and both taillights stopped working.

headlight was easy (replace the cheap bulb that it came with)

checked all wiring, taillights out cant be coincidence right....?
found 1 blown fuse in the fuse panel. replaced that.

now only left taillight works and my turn signals and hazard lights stopped working completely.

i pulled every fuse i could find and went over ever wire i could reach. nothing is blown, crossed, or shorted.

???????what could i have missed????????

its cool if you want to troubleshoot with me. im up for anything right now.

Scibbyz99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibbyz99WJ View Post
installed new halo headlights.

worked fine for two days. one headlight burned out, and both taillights stopped working.

headlight was easy (replace the cheap bulb that it came with)

checked all wiring, taillights out cant be coincidence right....?
found 1 blown fuse in the fuse panel. replaced that.

now only left taillight works and my turn signals and hazard lights stopped working completely.

i pulled every fuse i could find and went over ever wire i could reach. nothing is blown, crossed, or shorted.

???????what could i have missed????????

its cool if you want to troubleshoot with me. im up for anything right now.

ok, for the front you might have missed wire the halos. someone might of touched the bulb and that's why it blew out.

what fuse was blown?
dose the halo have their own switch or work off the parking light?

for the rear sound like the common problem most of us have in the WJ's, the connection in the housing to the bulb is dirt or loss. take the bulb out of the tail light and see if the connection points on the housing and socket are dirt if so clean it a bit with sand paper or a flat screw driver and push up the connection s a bit but not to far that you break them.
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Scibbyz99WJ
1999 WJ 

i did. when i went back and found i had miss wired the halos, and i think thats what blew the headlight. the halos should be connected to running lights but i wrapped them up and left them unconnected for the time being. would the bad connection in the rt rear taillight also cause my flashers to stop working as well?

i do know that the bulbs are good. that im sure of.
Scibbyz99WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
straty1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibbyz99WJ View Post
i did. when i went back and found i had miss wired the halos, and i think thats what blew the headlight. the halos should be connected to running lights but i wrapped them up and left them unconnected for the time being. would the bad connection in the rt rear taillight also cause my flashers to stop working as well?

i do know that the bulbs are good. that im sure of.
in the front, it all depends on how and to what you wired the halos. i hope you did not wire the halos to the headlight

for the rear light i bet its the connection in the housing socket, try cleaning and lifting to seeing if it helps. works for most of us

the flashers not working is due to the flasher relay having a bad connection end which is common in the WJ's. can do 2 things buy a new one from the dealer (only place) for $50 + or open it up and re-solder the bad connection.

part number is 4686094 and can get it hear WJ Grand Cherokee Flasher

how to get it and fix it
its in a tight to get to but you can get it.

- First remove the fuse cover on the bottom left, it pops off.
- then you have to remove the small plastic that is above the the steering wheel, it pops right off.

- then you have to remove the big plastic piece under the steering wheel.

this is all the fuses on the left side of the steering wheel. you can only really see the bottom half and the rest is behind the dash

the relays are located above the fuses so get a flashlight, put your head on the floor and look up. the flasher relay is on the top row in the middle,its the one that stick out the most. can wiggle it out and if needed use a pair of needle noise pliers to wiggly it a bit to start it. its the one label combination flasher at the top and the realays at the bottom are what you normally see after you pull that small cover off

now you have it out and you can see 2 push tabs on the sides, use a small flat screwdriver to pop the cover off. now its time to repair the real problem, a hair line crack on one of points against the plastic wall (its a row of 8 or 9 points) just look for crack on one of them might need a magnifier glass. when you find it you will need to re-solder that point and any other with a crack in it. make sure you don't solder 2 points together.

then just put it back together and in the jeep and your good to go.

hope it helps and if something makes no sense i will correct it.
i can not be held accountable if something messes up and causes damage to your jeep. these solutions have worked for me and many others but just posting this like many others have
straty1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.