Electrical Issue and No Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical Issue and No Start

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
shortyguy303
1996 ZJ 

Electrical Issue and No Start

So a few weeks ago my ZJ stalled at a stop sign and I haven't driven it since. At the time it would start, but if I let it run for a few minutes, turned it off, and tried to start it again it wouldn't start. I had it towed to a mechanic and he said before he could even look to see if there was another stalling problem he had to replace the water pump because it was leaking so badly. He was going to charge me an arm and a leg however, so I decided to just do it myself. This was last weekend. Unfortunately it is also my finals week at school, so I have been working on it in the spare few hours I have had over the past few days. I finally have nearly everything installed, and I get under the car to make sure that the holes are all lined up for me to put my radiator in, when I hear a clicking noise. I followed the sound and it seemed to be coming from around the fuse box by the passenger foot space. I now have the radiator back in and everything hooked up, but the car won't start (it just clicks) and I have no radio, or any display things, and no power locks. The only things that seem to work are the lights, the door ajar alarm, and I can see the "abs" light on my dash, although that is the only light I see on my dash.

I have already towed the thing back and forth from a mechanic, so if you guys have any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

shortyguy303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

First things I would check are the battery charge, battery terminals, and grounds. Then.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like the same problems I had when my battery died.
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

alarm ?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

It's likely your battery is under charged, could have happened while you were working on it especially if the hood light was on for a long time. Sometimes when the battery doesn't have enough power a relay will just click over and over trying to trip itself, but can't quite do it since there isn't enough power.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.