Electrical issue, high voltage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical issue, high voltage

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 05-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
Dtowncats
1997 ZJ 

Electrical issue, high voltage

The other week I went to start up my Jeep and it just clicked. I pulled the battery out and got it charged at Autozone. All was fine until today. Went out this morning to leave and it wouldnt start again. I jumped it with my car and everything seemed fine. Volt gauge was reading just under 14. Decided to check with my DMM and the battery was reading 16.5 volts and the alternator was giving a reading of 16.7-.8. What is going on here? Battery is no more than 6 months old. Not sure of age of anything else.

Unread 05-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtowncats View Post
What is going on here?
I doubt your DMM is a Fluke
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome

This. There's no way the voltage is that high. Try another meter.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

If the alt actually is reading that high then your pcm more than likely has a short in the charge field. If the battery is reading that high then either the alt is overcharging and the battery is swelling and getting ready to explode or you have a bad cell in the battery and its causing all of your problems

Sent from the mtns of TN using JeepForum
Unread 05-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #5
Dtowncats
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
You got me... I bought a new Klein today and both readings are 3 volts lower. 13.5 and 13.7-.8.

Now that thats taken care of, where can I start to figure out where this dead battery is coming from?
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Parasitic drag or a bad connection somewhere. On my wifes car the voltage from the alternator to the battery post was losing over a volt. Her battery kept dying every 3-4 days. Turns out there was corrosion in the terminal and it was losing voltage and not charging properly. Replaced the terminal and no more problems.
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

Our zjs are bad for the hatch or glass ajar switch to go bad and cause a drain

Unread 05-15-2014, 06:59 AM   #8
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Here is a link that covers a flashing back hatch and parasitic drain problem. Their both linked some how (I didn't get into the science behind it), but you can get one symptom without getting the other. ??

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...ts-not-714931/

I will always start toubleshooting these kinds of problems with testing the battery with a hydrometer (very cheap) and all the power connections along with stress testing the battery, before heading into any drain situation.If the charging system is good and the battery's healthy, you can go on to the rest.
I didn't get the flicking light (others have). My battery went dead over night and it turned out to be the hatch glass switch. Easy fix.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtowncats View Post
You got me... I bought a new Klein today and both readings are 3 volts lower. 13.5 and 13.7-.8.

Now that thats taken care of, where can I start to figure out where this dead battery is coming from?
Sounds like your charging system is fine. Probably drain like the others said. If that isn't the problem it could be bad cabling. Make sure all the big grounds are ok too.

You need to disconnect the battery to get a proper voltage reading that would indicate the battery's health. The reading you took shows the voltage drop between the battery and alt, which is also useful. A big drop would be a bad cable or a corroded fuse connection. Longshot a shorted battery. You are getting .2 - .3 vdc drop. Seems a bit high but not sure what it should be. Likely not a problem.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
big98tnzj
1998 ZJ 

The best way to get a proper battery reading is check it with everything hooked up, then unhook the battery and let it sit for about an hour then retest it and see what it shows. If it shows any kind of a drain at all, leave it unhooked over night and retest in the morning. Ive seen brand new batteries off of the shelf when i used to work for advance auto be bad because they didnt have the right amount of electrolites in them or they were banged around after production. If your battery comes out good, start checking all of your grounds before you start digging into any kind of drain issue

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.