Electrical gremlins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical gremlins

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
pcv57
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Electrical gremlins

I'm hoping someone may have some ideas as to what's going on with my 97 Grand Cherokee V8. About a month ago, after shutting off the engine the car would not restart. There was no power to anything electrical but my phone charger light would go on and off continuously. After a some time, the car would restart. Then one day the car just died while driving it and couldn't even take a jump start.
Mechanic installed a new battery and alternator which seemed to do the trick for awhile. While driving the other day I noticed the battery gauge peg all the way to the right meaning the battery was being overcharged. I stopped, opened the hood to check things out and then the car wouldn't start again and I noticed the phone charge light going on and off again. It did start some time later.
I would appreciate any ideas as to what could be going on. My mechanic is at a loss.
thanks

pcv57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

I am not sure what the issue is, but I would definitely start with the PDC (power dist ctr) The thingy behind the battery. I would closely examine the wiring harness entering it. I would also push and pull on the wires while some is cranking the engine.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
pcv57
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I have to start somewhere so that sounds good to me. I'll check it out and see if there is a loose connection or bad wire.

Paul
pcv57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.