JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Electrical gremlins (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/electrical-gremlins-25258/)

buzzbomb 12-19-2002 05:57 PM

Electrical gremlins

'96 grand cherokee limited, my dash lights went out this evening. They come on intermittantly, and the odometer and radio lights dim when the dash lights come on, then get brighter when the dash goes black. Also, the last few days, the tail lamp failure light has been coming on, but there are not any lights out- are they related problems? Thanks,

gcl97 12-19-2002 06:18 PM

I had the same the problem with my Honda Civic. After wondering and asking what the problem was, I found out that the dimmer switch of the dashboard was bad. Try a new switch (or one from the junk yard) and see if this resolve the problem. Or, you can check it out with some kind of analyzer. In anycase, I'll start with the dimmer SW. Good luck.

ZJGuido 12-19-2002 11:54 PM

I also had the same problem with the tail light failure warning coming on eventhough all the lights worked. Try cleaning the connections where the bulbs plug in, on all the brake lights and make sure they're in tight, this worked with my problem. :cool:
Concerning the odometer and radio lights going dim when the dash lights go on, and viseversa, thats normal, but i wouldnt be able to tell u about the lights going on intermidately:confused:

buzzbomb 12-20-2002 09:27 PM

Now the tail lights are going out, and the dash lights flicker like christmas lights, maybe it's just that time of year. Anyone know of a ground I should be checking, or a fuse, or something...

madmanfrommars 12-21-2002 11:12 AM

I keep loosing those "glow lights" on the car. Anyone know what I'm talking about? That glow on the controls when you put ur headlights on? the green glow?

anyway, the one in my shifter is intermiddent, and one of the ones up with the thermomitor doesn't work very well either.

MJR 12-21-2002 12:00 PM

Yes I would say you have a bad headlamp/dimmer switch. On the other problem it could be a couple of things. I think you are talking about the "rear lamp failure" or such ?. The first thing I would do is check the third brake light bulbs. It might have 2 or 3 and make sure they are the right ones 921 or 922 on the bulb. If they are blackened at all replace them. This will usually fix it. If not check all your parking light bulbs (front and rear). If this is not it then it might be corrosion in the tail light wiring harness connectors. I would guess it is a bulb though.

buzzbomb 12-23-2002 04:40 PM

I replaced the automatic headlight switch, and I still have no tail lights, and dash lights are no longer flickering, just gone. Any other ideas? How does the tail lamp module work?

bulletbob 12-23-2002 05:00 PM

This sounds more like a solid state module failure than a headlamp switch. Most times when Jeep switches go bad you'll smell them burning.I can check the schematic at work and let you know what is in that circuit . email me if you need help.... bullet_bob@lycos.com..... bob

MJR 12-25-2002 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by buzzbomb
I replaced the automatic headlight switch, and I still have no tail lights, and dash lights are no longer flickering, just gone. Any other ideas? How does the tail lamp module work?
Check the parking light fuse in the underhood fuse box.

buzzbomb 12-26-2002 12:14 PM

I fixed it! The swich was bad, and had also blown the fuse. I had checked the fuse earlier, and it was not blown, this was while the lights were flickering. The fuse blew at some point, then when I replaced the switch, it didn't work. Just checked the fuse, replaced it, now everything works. Thanks for the help, Dave

The time now is 06:00 AM.