Electrical and engine problems... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Electrical and engine problems...

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Black_Metal_Jeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Electrical and engine problems...

Yesterday, being an idiot, I decided to test my mostly stock ZJ in a little river. Well it turns out it wasn't so little... Got in, couldn't get out, had to call someone to pull me out. Needless to say it was embarrassing as hell and I feel like a moron!

Here's the nitty-gritty of what happened. Went into the water and couldn't get out, so I popped my hood and raised my air filter above the water line so that I didn't hydrolock. That last part was kind of unnecessary because the water wasn't anywhere near my filter, but hey better safe than sorry. Tried everything to get some traction, from huge boulders to huge logs under the tires, but I ended up sitting in the water for a good 2 hours before I was able to get out.

Anyway, it started right up when I got out of the water, but after 5 minutes on the road my check engine light came on, as well as the ABS light. Plugged in my code reader and it came up with P0171 which means my air/fuel mixture is too lean. It idles like a dog now and my gas mileage has gone from 17 around town, down to about 6. I put in half a tank yesterday and after driving a grand total of 45 miles between then to now I have less than a quarter. Also, my electrical seems shot. My radio doesn't work, my speakers don't work, and my interior lights flicker. Outside lights are fine, at least for now....

Desperately need to fix this because my Jeep is my DD and I can't afford to screw anything else up...literally I can't afford it

Thanks y'all

Unread 07-25-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Let it dry out for a week. Of course that won't help if there is water in the TC, trans or diffs. But it can cure electrical problems.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Black_Metal_Jeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Shouldn't be any water in those parts. All the seals and breather hoses are in good shape. There should be some hot weather this week so I can let it air dry while I'm asleep. But will letting it dry fix the air/fuel problem?
Unread 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
jreyes0a39oz
1998 ZJ 

i would tried firs checking all the fuses and see if any of them were blown, a likely cause would be that water got inside the sensor making them act eraticaly i would try unplugin them and see if any water got inside the sensors
jreyes0a39oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Fuses, let it dry in the sun, drain the diffs, tcase, trans.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Black_Metal_Jeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

sounds like i'm gonna have some stuff to do tomorrow thanks y'all
Unread 07-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Black_Metal_Jeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, well I took out all my seats, carpeting, and interior plastic bs...everything is fairly well dried out, but I'm leaving it out overnight just to be safe. Turns out my radio was shot because the amp (under the rear bench) was soaked with water. Took that out and I'm letting that dry, but if its shot its not a big deal. Was planning on upgrading the stereo eventually.

On to the bigger issues...When I pulled the carpet from the trunk area out, it smelled like diluted gasoline. Not a clue how that could happen. I checked every inch of my fuel lines and there weren't any leaks or breakages. When I got stuck, my gas cap was below the water line. I don't know how tight the cap was, but what are my chances of getting water in the tank or having gas leak into the water around me?

Also, pulled off my intake from the throttle body and saw something I really didn't like... there was about 1/16th of an inch of some liquid right below the throttle plate. It didn't have an odor so I'm thinking that I did get some water in my manifold... if I did how would I go about draining it?

Last thing, even after letting it dry all day (hood open in direct sunlight for 8 + hours), I'm still idling really rough...p0171 is still on even after erasing codes and disconnecting the battery. I wasn't able to get the fluids to change everything because I didn't want to risk further damage by going to the parts store, but I should be able to do that tomorrow.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.