electric issue possible -- Fuel pump/battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > electric issue possible -- Fuel pump/battery

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 11-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

electric issue possible -- Fuel pump/battery

Hey guys. Got a 95 grand cherokee laredo 5.2L V8 w/ 203k miles. So Ive got a question and may or may not have an electrical issue.
Jeep had a dead pump. Also believe battery was losing voltage when pump was connected but not sure. Mysteriously for a bit battery was not losing battery. Replaced pump and tested in a bucket of gas -- Worked. Some time later when we were ready to install it, we hooked it up and put the tank up. Not sure if it stayed connected to the jeep before testing for very long. Either way, wouldnt start and battery kept dropping voltage and dying. Took pump back out and its fried, no continuity. Now, I think when the pump is connected there is something drawing power and fried the pump and a parasitic voltage drop on the battery. How can I check this and see what wires are bad/grounds?? Need help please!
edit: Relays seem to be ok and working

95GCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

ASD relay issue, whether is be the relay, or a circuit issue. In case someone on here has a second opinion, I will post this as well.

Dirty Dozen:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Maybe a circuit issue but how would I test that?
The relays are all OK seeming and i even went out and swapped the fuel pump relay and it didnt make a difference. I think there is a bad grounding somewhere.
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
WJ4x4LIFE

PART 1 of 3:

Inspect wiring and connectors before hand, Repair harness or connector as necessary. If no problems were found with wiring and connectors, wiggle harness between PCM and relay. Remove ASD relay.Substitute another relay. If substitute relay clicks, replace original ASD relay. If substitute relay does not click, remove substitute relay.

PART 2 of 3:

(Voltmeter needed) Probe ASD relay connector terminal "A", 12-volt ignition feed circuit (Dark Blue wire). If reading is 10 volts or less, repair open Dark Blue wire. If reading is more than 10 volts, disconnect PCM. Wait and move on to PART 3 of 3:

PART 3 of 3:

Probe ASD relay connector terminal "C", control circuit (Dark Blue/Yellow wire). If resistance is less than 5 ohms, repair wire for a short to ground. If reading is 5 ohms or more, check resistance of ASD relay connector control circuit (Dark Blue/Yellow wire) between PCM terminal No. 51 and ASD relay terminal "C" using an external ohmmeter. If resistance is 5 ohms or more, repair open Dark Blue/Yellow wire. If resistance is less than 5 ohms, replace PCM.

I tired to simplified it as much as possible, I hope this helps. Let me know.
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the info -- However didnt 93-95 (mines a 95) have an ecm? Same process or no?
Unread 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
WJ4x4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95GCL View Post
Thanks for the info -- However didnt 93-95 (mines a 95) have an ecm? Same process or no?
ya, sorry needed to edit that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.