EGR delete , can I do it ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > EGR delete , can I do it ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-19-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

EGR delete , can I do it ?

Found an M-1 intake , no EGR . Both my jeep and truck are 95 5.2's with EGR's . Is the only effect going to be a CEL ? Any facts are appreciated

newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

I'm not sure if it will throw a CEL, but it will likely fail emissions testing, if you have that in Alberta.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

No emmisions testing to worry about , just performance . I would prefer to keep the CEL operable . I know there are plug in's out there to bypass these things and trick the PCM . Just can't find them for jeeps/dodges . It's a cheap intake @$200 . If it doesn't pan out for me , I could grab it for someone else . Fraser will have first dibs , he's local and just bought that 96 that it "will" work on . However , don't start a line up just yet , if there's a way , it will be on mine
Unread 07-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I dont even know if it would throw a code. The EGR system in my 94 was completely shot and i only got a code after wheeling. I got a 95 btw.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

95 eh , could have sworn I read 96 . Oh well . I'm gonna get it and try it out on the 95 Dodge Ram . Your right Fraser , I doubt it will produce a permenant CEL , just intermediate . I'm getting it for $150 if my offer is accepted
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Found an M-1 intake , no EGR . Both my jeep and truck are 95 5.2's with EGR's . Is the only effect going to be a CEL ? Any facts are appreciated
Do you mean that there is no hole for installing an EGR or that the hole has been plugged. Seems to me that the plug could be removed in one case or that a hole could be drilled and tapped in the other case. Then transfer your present EGR to the new manifold.

The EGR system is designed to return some exhaust back to the intake. The result is that compustion temps are reduced some and emission of NOx is reduced. The programming of the ECM was done to take into account of this exhaust gas input. When the EGR valve doesn't open, or if there is no EGR valve at all, combustion chamber temps can get high enough to cause knocking or pinging.
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
tsconver
2003 WJ 

doubt it will throw a code but as mentioned might run bad without it.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #8
SouthSeaPirate

Not to mention what the oxygen sensors will now see (more oxygen). And then it will run richer and hotter... ping

Thats just the basic of it. Ive seen it work out for the better on many vehicles. Id say its worth the shot if you can easily replace the stock components...
SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

have the manifold drilled and tapped. the boss is there for it(same castings) it's just not opened up from the factory.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the feedback . I've passed on it . This is an older style magnum intake , apparently mopar changed manufacturers sometime along the way . It's not from the same mold as the EGR intake of that yr , there nothing to adapt it into . The vacumn lines have to be ran off a tree directly on the rear of the TB unlike the new style which is plug and play . No biggie for the OBDII . Too bad , I could have got it for $150 , but , too much foolin' around for me
intake.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.