Educate me about WJ buying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Educate me about WJ buying

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTrick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub Shafts

Unread 04-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
SillyPutty
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Educate me about WJ buying

A buddy of mine has been following my TJ's progression and he's got the bug. He wants a jeep to mildly lift and lightly wheel. He also has 3 youngsters to haul around, so that rules out the TJ. The JK can fit 3 children but are still too much for his budget for this project. He found this WJ and asked me about it so I ask those that know:

Dealership is the seller:
2002 WJ Overland Edition
93k miles
4.7 V8
$11,900 sticker

Good value? Pitfalls to look for, pros/cons, etc would be appreciated. I'm assuming the Overland edition is Exterior and/or interior dress up or does it come with desired hardware upgrades as well?

SillyPutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #2
nierace
2003 WJ 

Tell him to get a H3

I've seen them go for under 10 with that much mileage on forums instead of from dealer.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
SillyPutty
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I will not tell him to get an H3. I will not speak to him(except to ridicule) if he did. The mileage sure seemed excessive to me, but I know very little of the wagons.
Unread 04-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyPutty View Post
I'm assuming the Overland edition is Exterior and/or interior dress up or does it come with desired hardware upgrades as well?
The Overland should come with 4.7 HO as well as Quadra-drive, which means he'll have factory limited slips and the high-output motor. It takes premium but it's worth it. Other than that it's just dress-up I think.

As far as the price, that could change greatly depending on your area. Just check KBB, Edmunds, and the prices of similarly equipped WJs to see if it's fair.

I'd say the biggest pitfall is the dual-zone climate control because the blend doors always break. However, it's not the end of the world and I wouldn't let that be a deal killer.
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
tennesseewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
hinchcliffe

Check wjjeeps.com for info on the blend doors and such. Be sure the heated seats work, no noises in the front diff. (incorrect fluid in the diff) and the usual maintenance stuff. $11900 is about right from a dealer, private is almost always cheaper, but you have no recourse from them. Great vehicle as long as its kept up with.
Unread 04-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
MuddyLuxury
1999 WJ 

02 was a good year, he might get lucky and have u joint front yoke which will save him time and agervation in the future if he gets rid of the 247, if thats whats in there. my 99 has 140k on it, i bought it at 98k. Runs like a top nad is easy to maintain and beat on regularly on the trail.

as mentioned look at the AC system see if the blended doors have gone out, check the brakes to see what style it is, all of this can be found on WJJeeps.com.

and offer them 10k with gas prices the way they are, i bet the counter offer will be 10.8
IRO 6.5 Long Arms
Aussie Locked Rear

in the works... lots deployments are great for jeep budgets

Go Doorless!

Things i need..
good spots in the mid atlantic to camp, hike, fish, kyak and wheel, if you know please share

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY
i would do the rear.
MuddyLuxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

You'll want to make sure it has the new style of WJ calipers... they received a major upgrade in design halfway through 2002, so it may or may not have them. I don't remember what exactly the problem was that prompted the design change, but it was part of what prompted me to go for a 2003 rather than something earlier.
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
tbm5690
2001 WJ 

The Overlands also have some skids and rails installed standard, I believe. The Overland is the most trail-ready WJ out of the factory with the armor and the LSDs.
Unread 04-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

You'll also want to check the original factory options for the suspension type. I doubt it would be a dealbreaker by any means, but something you'll want to be aware of: Overlands came standard with the Upcountry suspension package, which, in addition to the skid plates tbm mentioned, came with heavy duty and somewhat stiffer coil springs. Jeep offered a free option to have quadracoil springs instead ("it's free, you might as well opt for it"). Problem is, the so called quadracoil springs were actually just the standard WJ springs, so it was a free downgrade in suspension components.
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
Turbonut

Just curious Jeep in Missouri?
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
SillyPutty
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all this useful information. There is a bunch of info in here that I'll get to him after I research the brakes and blended doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbonut View Post
Just curious Jeep in Missouri?
Actually, yeah. STL. However, there is another one of the same year and trim and similar specs in Des Moines, too.
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #12
Turbonut

The one at Hollywood is from Michigan. Make certain that the oil pan, trans pan, and brake lines do not show advanced stages of rust. That oil pan is thin and cheap and many have been replaced because of rust. Not a bad job, but about $700.
If you haven't before, check to make certain you can pull the codes for the dual zone HVAC system. If working, it probably won't be for long.
Also check the Rogue wheels (inside) for rust on chrome. They don't like winter.
Unread 04-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #13
SillyPutty
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It is Hollywood. What's their reputation?

We're going to look at the local version first, since a trip to St louis to pick up a Jeep ain't cheap. Thanks for the great info, all.
Unread 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #14
Turbonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyPutty View Post
It is Hollywood. What's their reputation?

We're going to look at the local version first, since a trip to St louis to pick up a Jeep ain't cheap. Thanks for the great info, all.
Don't know them, but I checked Carfax.
It spent 3 years in MI, then auction 2005, and another auction 2007. Looks like Hollywood has had it since 11/07.
Just check any Jeep over very carefully, especially the underside.
Unread 04-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #15
SillyPutty
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the in-depth. I'm leery of this WJ now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.