ecu swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ecu swap

Up to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 08-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
4x4troy
1994 ZJ 

ecu swap

can i swap my ecu with alarm for a non alarm ecu and bypass the vtss on a 93 zj 5.2?

Here is what is happening.

Jeep has very hard time starting, and currently will not start.

Vehicle - 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 5.2

replaced coil
replaced auto shutdown relay
replaced battery
redid battery connection and verified all grounds to the engine
grounded out security system inside driver door

Here is what I was able to do until yesterday to get vehicle to start, once running it runs great, but
getting it started is getting worse and worse to accomplish.

1. Turn on Key
2. let sit for approx 30 seconds - security light comes on in dash (even after grounding out system)
3. let sit for approx 1-2 minutes - auto shutdown relay clicks rapidly for 3-5 seconds
4. check engine light comes on
5. able to start engine on first turn of key, catches immediately and runs great

Now - never get the rapid clicking in the auto shutdown relay, engine will not catch, cranks but will not
catch and start.

this is why i am wanting to swap out ecu's.maybe even the vtss. and does anyone know where it is on a 93 zj?...the vtss and vtss relay that is i guess b y the glove compartment.

Unread 08-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

From what ive heard you cant get rid of the OE alarm, only disable it. Are you sure you got a good ground in the door? not everything metal is an acceptable ground, i had to poke around checking for continuity with a mulitmeter to find a good spot, then used a wire wheel to get some nice fresh metal.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
4x4troy
1994 ZJ 

ok i will do that in the morning...make sure its got a good ground. thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.