Ebrake cam/lever replacement write up - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ebrake cam/lever replacement write up

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaWheeler Special! Black Steelies w/ 33" Mickey ThompsoROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #16
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks coralman, appreciate it!

It was a little tricky posting the photos w/text between them since I have them on my computer rather than an outside source. Had to reduce the size from 2288x1712 to 640x480 pixels so they'd fit. Then downloaded them in my profile gallery. Had a 2-3 tabs open at the same time, one for the post/reply, another to the gallery, and would open up a blank tab to go between them. I'd write the text then copy the direct URL from the gallery photo and use the insert image feature to paste the photo in. Took some time and the reason I did it in the middle of the night! Lol.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2014, 09:45 PM   #17
merc07
gone jeepin

1998 ZJ 

THANK YOU UNIBLURB!!! ive got to do this to pass inspection for Virginia, po decided to gut all the parts out so I had no clue how it all went together, you saved me lol best e brake write up ive seen thanks again
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:20 PM   #18
kodenz
1997 ZJ 

X2

Thanks uni, I used this a few months ago and it was very useful

sent from: somewhere
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:48 PM   #19
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You're welcome guys and glad the thread helped!

Unread 06-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Merc,where in va you is?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #21
merc07
gone jeepin

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
Merc,where in va you is?
im moving by the end of the month to palmyra in Fluvanna county... once settled in I got to find some work asap lol
Unread 03-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #22
lunchfist
1995 ZJ 

Once again, Uniblurb, THANK YOU!! i have to do this to my zj tomorrow, as i'm trying to make sure it's my transfer case (249) that's popping, so i'm going to drop my front driveshaft.. but i NEED the parking brake to work first, because it's a 95 and i know i'll roll in park. But i've got 3 wheel chocks and hopefully tomorrow a functional Parking Brake thanks to your write up! I got new P-brake shoes, and a hardware kit, but could not for the life of me find the cam/lever deal that's frozen up on my jeep. So i'll go get another set of vice grips and give it a whirl!

Just wanted to say Thank you again!!
lunchfist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #23
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You're welcome lunchfist and glad this write-up helps!

I was pretty disappointed after installing all the new parts when pulling the lever behind the dust shield forward by hand I only had one ebrake shoe moving out.

Save yourself some time/trouble and make sure the raised metal pads on the dust shield the shoes ride on are sanded off clean with a little white or brake grease on them. This was the trick for having both shoes moving out together!

Good luck on your ebrake job!

PS. while they aren't large enough for prying the seized cam/lever apart those smaller locking needle-nose vice grips in my photos sure are nice for removing and installing those flat metal spring clips!

Unread 03-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #24
lunchfist
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
You're welcome lunchfist and glad this write-up helps!

I was pretty disappointed after installing all the new parts when pulling the lever behind the dust shield forward by hand I only had one ebrake shoe moving out.

Save yourself some time/trouble and make sure the raised metal pads on the dust shield the shoes ride on are sanded off clean with a little white or brake grease on them. This was the trick for having both shoes moving out together!

Good luck on your ebrake job!

PS. while they aren't large enough for prying the seized cam/lever apart those smaller locking needle-nose vice grips in my photos sure are nice for removing and installing those flat metal spring clips!
On my way to get another set of vice grips and hopefully a needle nose set too! and i'm going to sand the crap out of everything once i have it all off... which reminds me i need some sand paper and another wire brush too.
Unread 03-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #25
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchfist View Post
On my way to get another set of vice grips and hopefully a needle nose set too! and i'm going to sand the crap out of everything once i have it all off... which reminds me i need some sand paper and another wire brush too.
Good deal! Since you'd be sanding on metal a variety pack of different coarseness of emery cloth would be best. I also use those small wire brushes for getting in tight spots.

I use my med wire wheel on my bench grinder for the easiest way to get rust off parts. If you don't have a something like that a wire wheel on a drill works ok. Be sure to wear safety glasses since sometimes rust chips are thrown out as well as the wires themselves. Gee I'm making up quite a store list, don't forget the cheap spray brake cleaner, and good luck!

Unread 03-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #26
4LtrZJ
1996 ZJ 

Oooo just donned on me....wire brush attachment for my rotary tool! (since I don't have a bench grinder)

...and vice grips, ATF fluid to mix with acetone, high temp anti-seize,...

I need to do this too...silly TX inspection *grumble-grumble*
4LtrZJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 12:47 PM   #27
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yep, good thinking and I have a rotary tool too (Dremel) but the wire brushes don't last very long.

I've used the ATF/Acetone rust cutter too which seems to work well. Just don't store it too long in a cheap trig sprayer since it ate mine up! Great smell down the basement! Lol.

Luckily they don't care what you drive here in Ohia except up near the lake/Cleveland where they have inspections!

Unread 03-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #28
lunchfist
1995 ZJ 

All done!!

I just want to say Uniblurb, those needle nose vise grips were a literal life saver... saved me a TON of time putting those clips back on the shoes.

Here are a few pics.

Driver-side After:

Passenger side Before:

Passenger side during... trying to free the cam/lever... couldn't have done this without my long flathead screwdriver, a mini sledge, and two sets of vise grips!!

had to scrape the layers of rust off these guys...

Also found out i have a quick disconnect rear sway bar!!!

Thanks everyone... i hope my pictures help contribute to this thread, and make it easy for others just like all you guys' previous posts helped me!

Thanks!
Unread 03-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #29
lunchfist
1995 ZJ 

Sorry Uni, didn't see your post about the wire wheel and such before i made it to the store. Also, i live in an apartment with a gravel 'off street parking' area about 200ft back behind our house... and no power tools. Running an extension cord all the way back there is ridiculous haha. Although, not sure why i didn't think to use my rechargeable dremel tool with a sanding wheel.... DOH! Oh well, i took a brand new jumbo wire brush to them for quite a while... not shiny, but not flaky with rust either. coated everything except brake shoes and drum in a liberal amount of anti-seize!
Unread 03-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #30
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the pics lunchfist and glad you got it done!

Where's the old shoe material on the before photo?? Lol, and mine wasn't much better. Glad to see I'm not the only one having to deal with the cursed road salt rust/corrosion!

Edit/PS. just saw your other post before mine. I also have the luxury of working on my ZJ in gravel! Not a good idea to run power tools on super long extension cords anyhow since there's too much voltage drop which is bad for the motor. Glad it worked out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.