"Easy" mods? 94, 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > "Easy" mods? 94, 4.0

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-14-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
DustinV89
1994 ZJ 

"Easy" mods? 94, 4.0

Well I'm working on switching from a 94 explorer 4x4 to a 94 GC ZJ 4.0 2x4, the explorer is giving me too many problems with a bad shake on braking.

Anyway, I've been looking for things I can do to customize a stock ZJ that are "simple." This isn't for offroading or anything, just a daily driver on the highway/normal streets to school/work etc.

So far I have on my hypothetical list... Replace stereo and speakers, either cold air intake or high perf air filter (opinions?) as well as replacing all the floor mats etc. I also was looking into replacing some of the interior panels, a lot of them are pretty scratched up and I was either looking for a good place to buy these or maybe just a way to clean em up. I need to clean up the yellowing headlights or replace them as well.

Does anyone have any simple mods to suggest? I'm kind of in the "easy-medium" range at this point.

DustinV89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
ctak24
1996 ZJ 

tune up and brakes is always a good start as well as replacing all fluids
ctak24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:31 AM   #3
ravinsaend
1997 ZJ 

for a daily driver I would definitely look into upgrading the injectors. You'll get better throttle response, meaning less pushing down the pedal to get to speed, and no mashing the pedal on the bigger hills, either. This means while technically it won't up your mpgs, it will still help in that dept. It just increases overall efficiency of the fuel system, and there are tons of threads on here about it, just do a search.

Also, a note about the intake: The 4.0s get all the air they can handle without a better flowing exhaust, so unless you want to upgrade that at some point, your intake will be pointless. This isn't from personal experience but it seems to be majority consensus.
ravinsaend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

What injectors do you use? I know the ford 5.0 ones work, but from what years and from the trucks or the mustang 5.0? I'm looking into getting some for my 4.0 since everybody says they tend to help out a little bit with efficiency.
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
stmprnch

Injector Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabzz View Post
What injectors do you use? I know the ford 5.0 ones work, but from what years and from the trucks or the mustang 5.0? I'm looking into getting some for my 4.0 since everybody says they tend to help out a little bit with efficiency.
Here's a thread with 11 pages of posts. Probably more than you really want to know but there are some diamonds in this coal field.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...4-0-a-1145336/

Best
stmprnch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
sabzz
1998 ZJ 

Alright thanks!
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
DustinV89
1994 ZJ 

Exhaust is a possibility, but not till a while later. I'll check out the injector mod, fluid, brakes, etc. Anyone know anything about oil filters? I was looking at random parts and replacements and came across some "high performance" ones... are these just a claim or worth something?
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinV89 View Post
Exhaust is a possibility, but not till a while later. I'll check out the injector mod, fluid, brakes, etc. Anyone know anything about oil filters? I was looking at random parts and replacements and came across some "high performance" ones... are these just a claim or worth something?
Generally an oil filter is an oil filter, as long as its not produced by honeywell they all accomplish similar things. K&N has a bit of a following, but really all oil filters do the same thing.

You will not get any performance boost from using a performance oil filter, just so that points clear.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
RedneckZJ
1996 ZJ 

you can get an intake off a 4.0 wj. direct bolt on and flows better so ive heard
You drive a tj, we drive a zj. We have more power while you get more shower. We get the v8 while you get there too late. You have 2 doors well, we have 2 more. Ours costs a grand while yours has a price we cant stand.
RedneckZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

I've done a lot of the easy mods...I think I posted most on my blog. Pm me if u have any questions on istock airbox mods and the injector swap...together they do make a noticeable difference

Sent from my Nexus One using JeepForum
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckZJ View Post
you can get an intake off a 4.0 wj. direct bolt on and flows better so ive heard
Not quite, since the op has a 94 he would have to switch his pulley setup. It would be truly bolt on for you since the 96 and the wj has the same pulley arrangement for 4.0.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #12
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHalfWit View Post
Not quite, since the op has a 94 he would have to switch his pulley setup. It would be truly bolt on for you since the 96 and the wj has the same pulley arrangement for 4.0.
Maybe next summer I will make that my project, I have been wanting to do it but i ran out of time this summer :P i can't do anything in a college parking lot after all...
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #13
DustinV89
1994 ZJ 

I was looking at the air box off my wrecked 96 zj and I'm pretty sure its the same as on the 94, what kind (size, location) of holesshould I drill for better air flow? I know they have to be before the filter obviously, I just want to do it right before I drill into my only spare air box.

Also, are there any parts I can salvage off the 96 that might be good to swap or keep as spare parts? Both are 4.0s.

Thanks again
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
melk
1996 ZJ 

I did the injector swap (used Chrysler #703 not the Ford) and a little while later did the dubjay intake manifold swap as well.

In my experience the injectors did help but the manifold made the most difference. I'm getting a consistent 18 mpg now as long as I don't go WOT up hills too much used to be 15-16 avg.

Next up is exhaust manifold/header and 2.5" pipe.

OP - It might not be sexy but basic maintenance really is your best bet for keeping your Jeep running problem free. Ignition tune up, fuel filter, all fluids (motor oil, tranny, diff)
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
modification , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.