Easy brake swap. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Easy brake swap.

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 08-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Easy brake swap.

I just changed the rear pads and rotors on my 96 GC I could not believe how easy it was to do. I had both sides done in less than 20 minutes. They were horrible. The inside pad on both sides had grooves cut into them, and the rotors were very rusty. I just used a little PB blaster and a few good hits from my BFH and they came right off. The parking brake pads inside the rotor were junk, so I didn't bother replacing any of that stuff. After I got all done I pulled a spark plug and it was pretty worn so I threw 6 new Champion plugs in it and broke a wire pulling one off. So then back to the parts store to buy a set of wires. It runs great now. I threw 2 cans of R-134A in and the air conditioner blows cold air. I am very happy with this purchase. I paid $2500 out the door forthe Jeep $76.00 for rear pads and rotors, $20.00 for 2 cans of freon, $20.00 for new wires, and $15.00 for 6 new plugs. It runs great, and the interior looks like new still. Hard to believe for a vehicle that is 13 years old and has 122,000 miles on it. I'll post some pictures of it later this week.

Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
MarkoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
SouthSeaPirate

Wish I could say the same for my drums

Good deal! Did you notice a difference in running quality after plug and wire change?
SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

welcome to working on chryslers, gm isnt quite the same
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate View Post
Wish I could say the same for my drums

Good deal! Did you notice a difference in running quality after plug and wire change?
It does run better. When I took it to town this morning I noticed it hesitated a little starting up. It seem a little more spunky now. The plugs were well worn down, but none were fouled so that was a great sign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparrr07 View Post
welcome to working on chryslers, gm isnt quite the same
You must of read my epic of changing the wheel bearing on my wife's car.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

I love Jeeps, and working on them... non-jeep friends say that it's a good thing I like to work on them 'cuz I have to do it so often. Not necessarily true.............

I know what you mean about the brakes - my wife's Ford Taurus? A supreme pain in the buttocks for the rears when the caliper doesn't want to cooperate with the idiotic "crank the piston back into the caliper" routine, and there's nothing you can do about it except replace the caliper, but then if the piston won't turn back into the caliper because of rust or age, odds are you can't remove the brake line from the caliper, either!!!!.... and the thermostat on the 3.0 Duratec V-6? AAARRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! It's on the BOTTOM of the friggin' engine! Gotta remove the exhaust bank, remove the tansaxle mount, raise the engine/transaxle, REMOVE THE CROSSMEMBER!!!, and THEN you can remove the thermostat housing!!!!!!!! Some insane engineer on the worst day of a bad week and suffering from the downside of a manic-depressive swing drew the short straw for designing that thing and he decided to take it out on mankind in the worst possible way.... nothing goes back together quite the way it's supposed to, either.... needless to say, I've only changed it once (only HAD to, that is); now, the spring on the passenger front strut broke, so the 97 ZJ is going on the road a little bit ahead of schedule.

Did I mention that i love Jeeps, and working on Jeeps???
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
moparrr07
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoPo View Post
It does run better. When I took it to town this morning I noticed it hesitated a little starting up. It seem a little more spunky now. The plugs were well worn down, but none were fouled so that was a great sign.

You must of read my epic of changing the wheel bearing on my wife's car.
no i had no idea, ive just done alot of work on chryslers and alot on gm, gm engineering is really a joke, everything they do is really hard to get to or you have to take 4729947 things off to get to it
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
Jones
Consider the following...

Sounds like a good find. Any other plans for the jeep or is it going to stay stock?
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
MarkoPo
2005 WK 

It is going to be my daily driver, so it will probably stay stock for now. I found some receipts in the glove box and called the previous owner. He said he had no problems with the vehicle at all. It had new tires and shocks put on it 22,000 miles ago. The ABS light is on and the cruise doesn't work so I'll work on those issues in the next few weeks. When I drove it home from the dealer I was playing with the stereo and hit the CD button and it said reading. I was like WTF?! Well someone left an insync CD in it. I told my wife when I got home either a girl or some flammer owned it before. Turns out I was right. It was the guy's 19 year old daughter's car. she drove to to college and back. They only put 24,000 miles on it since 2005.
Hemi Club member #2
Bonafide Gun Guru
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
SouthSeaPirate

My OD and Cruise didnt work when I got mine. Had a few codes including the TPS. Replaced that and all was well, even ran a bit better.

Good to know the plugs make it run better; I think Ill be doing that when I replace my WP.
SouthSeaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.