East Coast Gear 8.8 Options. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > East Coast Gear 8.8 Options.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
bobfoe95
1997 ZJ 

East Coast Gear 8.8 Options.

Pinions bearing on my Dana 35 are bad. I am not wasting my time or money on it anymore.

So I am doing an 8.8 swap. I want this to be as stress free as possible and want to just bolt it on. east coast gear has an assembly you can put together that I am really liking. I am having a hard time choosing what I want, and what would be best. I want to keep it as close to 1k as possible. Here is the link-

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-411...-assembly.html

My front gears are 3.73 so I will match those up. I will go with factory brakes since I can do those cheaper than they want. Stock diff cover and shafts. All new bearings (is it really worth the 350??? Although that is what why I am swapping my 35), and then just gear oil. Open diff for now so I can decide on what kind of locker later. Does this sound good to you guys? will run me about 1300 delivered.

bobfoe95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Just my thought, but if you're gonna pony up the money for a bolt in axle, it'd be way past foolish to not put new bearings in it. These are junkyard axles, it's literally a toss up if it's bad now, or it takes a bit.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I'm of the do it right the first time mentality. If you're going to pay quite a lot of money to have somebody build and setup an axle, you may as well get the axle you want and not have to touch it again. Get a locker, get the gears you want to run (4.56?) and get some protection.

If you're trying to be cheap then get a JY 8.8 with 3.73's and weld on the artec truss.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
bobfoe95
1997 ZJ 

Well I am only running 31s at this point. My front end is 3.73 and I like it. I think I will get the axle all refreshed in that case. Hmm now to decide on the limited slip or locker.
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
bobfoe95
1997 ZJ 

Ok so everything comes to 1600. Entirely rebuilt bolt in axle with limited slip. Is this not worth it?
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfoe95 View Post
Ok so everything comes to 1600. Entirely rebuilt bolt in axle with limited slip. Is this not worth it?
If it were my choice, I'd get the open carrier, no LSD. That way if you decide you want to throw a lunchbox locker in later you don't have to reset the gears. The LSD doesn't help much with larger size tires.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I've heard the 8.8 LSD is worth it and works for larger tires, I've also never had a problem with the d44a LSD on 31's. I wouldn't lunch the rear on something that sees a lot of street time.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 07-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

I have this exact setup on 33x12.50 BFGs.

I built mine vs buying theirs... But I went Artec truss and 4.56 G2 gears with all Timken bearings and used ford LSD with upgraded HD clutch pak.

It's been great for streets and mild off-roading. I miss my Detroit NoSpin locker only in two wheel drive off-road, I now have to put it in 4wd when before I did not, but I'm no longer twisting axles in two on pavement. So it's a win for me. I've not had any issues with less capability without the locker than I did with it, I have traveled the same places and maybe some worse without any different outcome....I went over or through all just as before.

If you drive it a lot or daily like mine, the LSD will do you good.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #9
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Limited slips are beyond useless. Now is the time to get a locker. By FAR the single biggest step forward in off road capability.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
KyBoy1991
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Limited slips are beyond useless. Now is the time to get a locker. By FAR the single biggest step forward in off road capability.
I agree, IF offroading is the main use of your vehicle. Full time lockers are hard on parts if you daily drive the vehicle, things don't last as long. I loved mine, expect when it twisted the axles and I was pulling parts and replacing axles.

The BEST option IMO, is a selectable locker. I think that's why the Rubicon Wranglers are such a hot commodity. They're limited slip until you lock it in, and they are electronic, which is the best IMO. But whether it be air or electric actuated, the selectable locker is the ultimate way to go. But it will also set you back another $800+ depending on what brand you go with.

It all depends on the use planned for the vehicle.
KyBoy1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #11
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

44a with the same gears... Bolt it up... Good to go for far less... You'll never need more with 31s

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
44a with the same gears... Bolt it up... Good to go for far less... You'll never need more with 31s
This.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 07-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #13
bobfoe95
1997 ZJ 

Yeah I never thought about a 44a. Would you guys recommend the 44a? jeep will never go above 31s and 3.73s. Just a cheap mess around vehicle.
Unread 07-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #14
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I beat the crap out of my 44a on 31's.

The WJ's I wheel with do the same, it's a solid axle.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #15
bobfoe95
1997 ZJ 

Ok so I am going to try and find an axle off craigslist or a junk yard. How do I make sure the new axle has no problems like mine does? Any tell tale signs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.