E-fan controller schematic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > E-fan controller schematic

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

E-fan controller schematic

Whelp, here is the first edition. Has all the bells and whistles...status indicators (optional, can be bulbs or LEDs), fan disable, fan Hi/Lo override, auto mode (switches fan Off/Lo/Hi as necessary), AC compressor turn on to Hi, protection diodes, high current (will easily handle the Mopar and Taurus fans), you name it. Improvements are welcome. I will revise the schematic when needed.

SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATE!

efan.jpg  

Last edited by HighLonesome; 03-27-2008 at 04:44 PM..
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
hockeyref

Thanks so Much, This is Great

Hey there,
It's Paul from the other website. Thanks much this great stuff. This is the kind of stuff I join car clubs for.

Might there be a tap in place already in our main electrical box under the hood for the main tap? I do think I've got the 120 amp alternater. Was there a tougher one for ZJ's and can any ZJ's harness handle the extra power? With the winter coming I don't think I'll get a chance to tackle this one now. Perhaps I'll collect the parts and get on it next spring in time for the next AC season.

So either the Tauras fan or the 5.9 ZJ fan will work with this set-up right? What are the issues with hooking up the Ford fan to the back of a ZJ radiator? It might pay to be picky and make sure you get the Jeep one I might imagine. Wish I could find a "parts" victim. Yeah, just part out a good 5.9, right?

Anyway, thanks again and have a great night.....
Paul
hockeyref is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

man dude, u have so much **** on there lol.. im going simple with mine. high and low run to a switch in the cab.. lol
ur goin all out..
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #4
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyref
Might there be a tap in place already in our main electrical box under the hood for the main tap? I do think I've got the 120 amp alternater. Was there a tougher one for ZJ's and can any ZJ's harness handle the extra power?

So either the Tauras fan or the 5.9 ZJ fan will work with this set-up right? What are the issues with hooking up the Ford fan to the back of a ZJ radiator? It might pay to be picky and make sure you get the Jeep one I might imagine. Wish I could find a "parts" victim. Yeah, just part out a good 5.9, right?

Anyway, thanks again and have a great night.....
Paul
Hey Paul,

You're welcome and thanks!

Call Lawrence at www.mopartsracing.com and see if he can get you a Mopar efan/shroud. Last time I looked (4 years ago ), they were only $161 + ship.

I would grab ignition 12vdc from the switch of the ASD relay. That relay much be engaged for the motor to run, so it makes sense. Just lookup the wire and splice it before it goes into the distribution box.

The 120 amp alt will work, but minimal. You can get a 136 amp at Autozone, or try to find a 150 amp from a niner. No worries about the stock harness, since you are making your own and only using ignition to power a relay. Your efan gets wired directly to the battery.

The Taurus fan shroud is an odd shaped thing that doesn't give full coverage and doesn't fit flush to the rad in places. If you are in a hot area, you will press it to the limits. I mounted mine to the old shroud for ease of mounting and to get a little more coverage. Here's the writeup
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/ford-3-8-efan-project-begins-355400/

Some stuff for sale, sounds like the fan needs a motor
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=844193

Cheers
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52
man dude, u have so much **** on there lol.. im going simple with mine. high and low run to a switch in the cab.. lol
ur goin all out..
Simple is good. Don't forget to flick the switch though or your life will be full of grief

I did the diagram with all the bells and whistles, but it can easily be scaled back and simplified. I started with a Cadillac, but it can be modded into a Chevy.
Unread 09-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.nein
Simple is good. Don't forget to flick the switch though or your life will be full of grief

I did the diagram with all the bells and whistles, but it can easily be scaled back and simplified. I started with a Cadillac, but it can be modded into a Chevy.
hehe yeahhh..
well im planning on tapping the wire to one of the ignition wires.. so i dont think ill need to worry about that
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Updated diagram 3/3/08. You need a diode on the 'AC in' to keep the compressor from coming on when efan turns on.

Radio Shack PN for 'Fan Hi/Low Override' switch ... 275-654
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Radio Shack PN for 'Fan Enable/Disable' switch...275-651
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Temp switches FAL PN 31147
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Relays and sockets
http://www.minute-man.com/cgi-bin/sh...1_2d1D70_2d12F

Status indicators Radio Shack PN...276-209
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
efanhigh.jpg  

Last edited by HighLonesome; 03-03-2008 at 09:01 AM..
Unread 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Why don't you want the compressor coming on when the fan is on? Just to help it cool before the compressor kicks back on? Seems like in a hot climate you could get stuck with no AC like that.
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Why don't you want the compressor coming on when the fan is on? Just to help it cool before the compressor kicks back on? Seems like in a hot climate you could get stuck with no AC like that.
When the compressor gets 12vdc, it turns on the Efan to high (easily changed to low by rewiring). But if you have the AC turned off (winter), you don't want the compressor getting 12vdc back through the efan circuit. Savvy?
Unread 03-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Roger that
Unread 04-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
jeepguy98
1997 ZJ 

I have the 5.9 fan, sensors, and relays so I want to do it the right way and not use a fan controller. Im thinking I can just run the low and high wires to the battery with the high and low 5.9 relays in between and then use the rad. hose sensors to trigger each relay. Where do I put the third relay so when high comes on it shuts off low speed? And do I need to hook up the AC? I figure if it gets hot running the AC the sensors will trigger the fan anyway
97 JGC Limited 5.2L, Black/Black, NP242 swap, D44a with LSD, 3.73 Gears, 2" IRO lift, Zone Nitro shocks, BFG KO's, Doug Thorley Headers, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44, Custom Tail Pipe, 5.9 E-Fan Conversion, SCT Tune by Sean, K&N FIPK, Amsoil filter/Pre-filter, MSD 6AL Ignition Box, Blaster SS Coil, Alpine Type-S speakers, Alpine 500W Amp, 10" Kicker CVR, Receiver Shackle, Custom Dash Bezel
jeepguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
charonodaemon
1998 ZJ 

Just a thought on the high/low/auto manual override switch. I would probably put that downstream of the relays as a safeguard for relay failure, if that would make sense.

Then again the would remove the auto control function. Gonna have to think more on that and how to set it up for a backup/override.(Edit)
charonodaemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.