DW (Death Wobble) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > DW (Death Wobble)

New! JK/U skid plate system.FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #1
ChrisLenga

DW (Death Wobble)

So I've been doing a ton of research on these forums and figured I'd start sharing some things that I've noticed and checked out. I've been experiencing a death wobble on a 97 Grand Cherokee Laredo. Its lifted with 31's.

So far I tightened everything up and adjusted the tire pressure which only made it worse. It appears it has lead me to the problem at hand though. Pictures show an example of what my issue appears to be. Once its not twenty degrees out I'll be tampering with it and see if its just loose or it needs to be fully replaced.

On my other Jeep, also a 97, the death wobble was resolved by tightening everything up steering component wise and that was all I needed to do for that one. It still runs quite well with no issues and this was years ago.

Just wanted to point out a few resources I've found with some of the best information about the DW topic.

http://kevinsoffroad.com/techarticles/deathwobble.html
http://www.jeepproblems.com/trends/death-wobble/
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/dia...-wobble-55021/

What's everyone's opinion on the pictures I attached?

2015-03-28-13.52.12.jpg   2015-03-28-13.52.18.jpg  
ChrisLenga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Is that the steering stabilizer? Lmao. Not the problem. It's usually track bar associated but it can be a combo of things.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 02:34 AM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Well that ain't right. It's not your problem either if you have death wobble, that could cause steering vibes, but not the whole enchilada.

I would bet trackbar or CA bushings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
ChrisLenga

Jumping under it again today now that it isn't twenty degrees. I did have to tighten this up quite significantly. I'll be checking my adjustable track bar to see what its up to.
Unread 03-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Spike6901

On my JK, it ended up being the aluminum wheels after I went through all of what you are going through with track bars, alignment, etc...

The hub on the aluminum wheels was much thicker and the tire shop didn't get the wheels on there exactly flat to the hub. Weird but it worked for me. From then on, I rotated them myself.
Unread 03-30-2015, 04:47 PM   #6
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Always start with caster angle. I can drive my rig with loose track bar, completely unbalanced wheels, and sloppy ball joints with no death wobble simply by dialing in the caster angle.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
ChrisLenga

I'll look into that next. So far, the tierods have been replaced as there was play and so have the ball joints. Death wobble still exists. Track bar is aftermarket and solid. Steering stabilizer isn't leaking or frozen so its working no problem.
Unread 04-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If your front control arm bushings are shot to crap it will change the castor angle and allow the axle to move around. Especially the lower bushings.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #9
ChrisLenga

Will this be something the alignment shop will see? I'll pop out when its not pouring to investigate it the ways I know how.
Unread 04-03-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

It's kinda hard to tell without pulling the arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.