Durango Seats in a ZJ- Install w/ Pics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Durango Seats in a ZJ- Install w/ Pics

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
binksman

Durango Seats in a ZJ- Install w/ Pics

Due to a portly PO and PO's wife, both the front seats in my 96 Unlimited were broken. The drivers seat especially- a broken seat frame where it bolted to the electric seat track and a broken brace on the back frame. Previous repairs held for a little while, but the metal was so fatigued the welds were the strongest part of the seat and the metal around the weld kept tearing out. With 220k, the seat definitely has seen better days, and while the leather itself from still in decent shape, the stitching on both seats had pulled out.

Turns out I had zero luck finding XJ or WJ leather seats in decent shape. I checked three auto yards over the past 6 months looking for seats, and all of Jeeps had loose or wobbly seats. Even after opening my search to cloth seats, I still couldn't find any used seats. Long story short, I got a pair of leather bucket seats from a 2002 Dodge Durango. The drivers side maintains its power status and the passenger side is manual.

First I took the ZJ seats out and took the tracks off the seats so that I could drill out the rivets and remove the brackets that bolt the tracks to the floor of the Jeep. I reused those brackets on the Durango seat tracks. Note: to remove the Durango seat tracks, you need a long t-handle T-45 Torx bit. I had to make one by cutting up a T-45 Torx bit and using a 1/4" socket driver.

ZJ seat track: heavy, more complicated, more wirings, and broken:

Durango seat track: lighter, simpler, only a two wire operation, and all the metal is still strong (ignore the drill battery I have to hotwire the seat track)

Differences in measurements

I used some 1"8" plate steel and welded brackets on to the sliders of the Durango seat track. On the outboard side I just kept in line. The inboard side, I had to use cut the plate a few inches wide to move the floor bracket away from the transmission hump. Jeep accomplished this design feature in the seat frame with stamped steel, which IMHO is part of the reason why the seat frames tend to crack. Anyway, once that was done, I did a test fit before finish welding.

Here you can see the difference between the ZJ seat and the Durango seat. The high back is MUCH more comfortable and the newer foam is firmer.

I spent another day working the passenger side in the same way but finally got them both in the Jeep.

As far as wiring, all I had to worry about was the drivers side, so I just connected the Durango seat to the old ZJ plug and only needed to hook up a 12v power and a ground, snipping the rest after the ZJ plug. If I were to ever want to hookup ZJ seats again, I could easily. But I don't see that happening because the wife and I both agree the Durango seats are MUCH better than the ZJ seats.

Notes:
1- the drivers side does need moved inboard about one inch which I will do with tabs between the seat track and the seat. The brackets are lined up fine, the seat just sits too close to the door. With the goofy door pockets on the Jeep, slamming the door makes the pocket bump the switch and after a day of getting in and out of the Jeep I need to readjust the my seat positions.

2- you will lose the memory function of the ZJ seats, but I don't miss it. Ours never worked right and wouldn't reprogram, so this actually makes with life a little easier.

3- I were particular about the seat color matching in my 96 ZJ, I noticed the color matches are better in 98 ZJs and WJs, so I would be able to swap rear seats with one of those models to match the seat color.

4- The ZJ seats are about 20 lbs heavier than the Durango seats. Not much of a weight drop in a ZJ, but its something

5- When welding on the seat tracks, keep them cool where you aren't welding at all times! I poured too much heat into the passenger side, so the tracks are very stiff now and don't want to slide. I had to reweld that entire side because of a stupid mistake, which I think is where my problem was, but still.

binksman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
tizzly
1994 ZJ 

Nice
tizzly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #3
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Shouldnt of shown me my wifes seats will fit in my jeep lol.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

me likey :-)

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
JustinW23
1998 ZJ 

That looks great! I have been tossing around the idea of getting my leather reupholstered. For the estimates I have been getting, I could buy new seats. I am going to check the jy for some of those. Thanks

'98 ZJ 5.2 6" Long Arms, 265 75R 16's, Magnaflow Cat and Super 40, Taurus Fan Swap
JustinW23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
binksman

Yeah. $50 cash for the seats and a piece of scrap steel are all it cost. Much better than the $400-500 covers or the $600 sets of seats I found

The wife loves the seats. And I found they are MUCH better to sleep in than the stock ZJ seats. I happily dozed through half a wedding reception!
Unread 08-26-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That's way cool. Nice job!
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
booked101
1997 ZJ 

very nice! that looks really comfortable.
Unread 08-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

well done.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
chich
1995 ZJ 

Nice job,and a good color match too.Sweet deal for $50.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
timmay5309
1998 ZJ 

"The wife loves the seats. And I found they are MUCH better to sleep in than the stock ZJ seats. I happily dozed through half a wedding reception!"

Ha ha, that's awesome!
timmay5309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #12
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

a must have mod
thanks
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
binksman

Quick update, I was wandering through the scrap yard the other day and found a 98 ZJ with the same color interior as the Durango and SURPRISE! the center console lid was NOT broken!!!

Needless to say, I grabbed it, so now the center console in the ZJ matches the Durango seat color.

Tags
durango , install , seat , swap , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.