Durango air hat on 5.9 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Durango air hat on 5.9

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I trimmed the front of the air box so I think I am hearing it suck the air in.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #32
ilive4cars0122
1998 ZJ 

I have a few questions polkapower. How come you didn't angle the air hat towards the air box to begin with? Second that tall of an air hat fits with that short bolt coming out of the TB with a nut on top? Third are you supposed to cap off those hose inlet closest to the air hat? Finally what year range durangos can you get this from? I'm going to the JY later and am interested.
ilive4cars0122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #33
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I didn't angle it because it has tabs on the bottom of the air hat that make it fit snug on the TB and I would have had to trim more of the hood bracing. The angle towards the intake is close to the hood bracing angle. The way it sits now the tubing is in a valley between the bracing that sticks down and provides room for fit. Also I was to lazy to trim the bracing and air hat tabs.
I went to Lowe's and got a longer stud then cut the excess off.
I capped off the breather inlet on the air hat.
I am not sure what years have them but I know they are newer like maybe 93 on up. Just take a look at my pics or print it out and go through all of the Dakotas and Durango's they have. This one was wrecked pretty bad and the air hat was actually inside the truck under a pile of plastic. You should look for the bosch 703 injectors while you are there as well. There is a list of what dodge vehicles to look in on this thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...p-how-1305456/
Unread 01-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #34
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Well driving it around today I defiantly notice a difference in the exhaust note. It's a bit meatier. Seems to accelerate with ease now and with less throttle than before. It's worth it. The tube cost 20 bucks and the air hat was 15.
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #35
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I had to trim a bit more, it was rubbing the air hat. Smoothed and painted it.
0124121909.jpg  
Unread 01-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #36
MuddSlutt
2001 WJ 

ive been looking for something like this... i couldnt see spending tons of money on the spectre air hat
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #37
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

well worth it imo. especially after the exhaust gets redone
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #38
extrememarine
1994 ZJ 

I scored one of these today at the JY for $4. It was off a Dakota pick up with the 3.9 V6. Sits on the 5.2 TB like OEM. Now, I've got to have time to trip the hood and insulation.

Extrememarine
extrememarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #39
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrememarine View Post
I scored one of these today at the JY for $4. It was off a Dakota pick up with the 3.9 V6. Sits on the 5.2 TB like OEM. Now, I've got to have time to trip the hood and insulation.
Damn that's a good JY. They charged me 15! I widened the hole and it still rubs the hood on the very top but it's not a big deal. Just a little paint rubbed off.
Unread 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #40
Billyjoebob007
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk View Post
Are these air hats easily available & if so what $$$ are we looking at?
I just found one this morning at the JY off a 98 durango for $7 !
** Oops, yer in London, umm ya might check ebay then, Dunno if you can buy off US site though.
Billyjoebob007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #41
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Just picked up an air hat off a 3.9 Dakota complete with the flex hose, stud, top hold down nut and mounting plate for $15

I'm wondering about the divider plate inside the air hat, to me it looks like a major blockage to smoothly flowing air but then again it its also directly across from the intake inlet on the hat so it may be there to divert the air downward....not sure if I should chop it out or not
Unread 05-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #42
Treleaven
1997 ZJ 

Did this to mine last night and on my 5.2L I noticed the Jeep to be a bit louder(not sure what the loudness is I am hearing but it is not as quiet) and it seems to need less skinny pedal to get moving. My install was not as clean as yours tho as I only had tin snaps at my disposal and they quit working at all half way through the cutting process.
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #43
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Finally got around to installing my air hat yesterday and took it for a spin, made a huge difference in terms of off idle response and has a bit more pickup down low. On mine I cut out the tabs inside the air hat, cut out the divider plate and clocked it twards the airbox outlet. I used a dremel and cut off wheels to make the cuts in the hood bracing and a sanding drum to clean up the edges, left very clean smooth cuts. I also used both the Dakota and Jeep intake tubes and mated them together to; A) make up the difference in sizes and B) the difference in length. A little cutting and its a perfect fit! Anyways here's some pics of it all finished up!

Pic of the finished and installed air hat and intake tubes. Luckily I walked out of the JY with everything I needed to make this work the first time.

Here you can see where I cut the bracing and hood pad out to fit the clocked air hat and intake tube twards the airbox. The cut outs I made in the hood pad by the hood vents will be explained in another thread.
Unread 06-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #44
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Looks awesome. I was too lazy to remove my hood to cut it. You can see now why I did not angle mine toward the air box. You need to remove more bracing. Best least expensive mod so far.
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Looks awesome. I was too lazy to remove my hood to cut it. You can see now why I did not angle mine toward the air box. You need to remove more bracing. Best least expensive mod so far.
Yea, it was definitely more work removing the hood but i like how its clocked at the airbox for a smoother flowing path. This definitely is a worthwhile, noticeable, super cheap and easy mod!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.