Durango air hat on 5.9 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Durango air hat on 5.9

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
RedneckZJ
1996 ZJ 

just curious. how close was it with just trimming the cloth hood lining or whatever it is

You drive a tj, we drive a zj. We have more power while you get more shower. We get the v8 while you get there too late. You have 2 doors well, we have 2 more. Ours costs a grand while yours has a price we cant stand.
RedneckZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #17
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckZJ View Post
just curious. how close was it with just trimming the cloth hood lining or whatever it is
Not close. The fabric wasn't the issue, it's the bracing. The hood was bent up when I closed it before trimming.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #18
RedneckZJ
1996 ZJ 

ah ok. looks like itll allow a lot more air flow
You drive a tj, we drive a zj. We have more power while you get more shower. We get the v8 while you get there too late. You have 2 doors well, we have 2 more. Ours costs a grand while yours has a price we cant stand.
RedneckZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckZJ View Post
ah ok. looks like itll allow a lot more air flow
We will see. I am going to Lowes in a few minutes to find some plumbing.
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Eric1080
1978 J-Series Truck 

its a great mod. did it to my 5.2. didnt even trim the hood brace. hood is slightly bowed. deeper sound on acceleration. actaully sounds like a magnum. i got about 1 mpg better as well and i think better acceleration. used spectre flex intake hose from autozone.
Eric1080 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Are these air hats easily available & if so what $$$ are we looking at?

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric1080 View Post
its a great mod. did it to my 5.2. didnt even trim the hood brace. hood is slightly bowed. deeper sound on acceleration. actaully sounds like a magnum. i got about 1 mpg better as well and i think better acceleration. used spectre flex intake hose from autozone.
I just picked up the same hose and coupler. I didn't want it touching the hood because the engine moves all the time. I paid ten bucks for he air hat at the junk yard off of a Dodge Durango.
Unread 01-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Just realised i have an M1 manifold on mine with a 52mm Holley TB & FIPK & space is really tight under there, you can see where the existing air hat is leaving a fair old mark on the insulation so one of these may be just too much even with some cutting. I have another 9er hood which i will be modifying soon so then it will definitely all fit

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #24
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea, isn't the M1 taller than the kegger?
Unread 01-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Ok it's all done and hooked up. I really don't think it's going to make a difference if I go through the trouble of grinding those tabs off to angle the air hat. It would look better though but this actually works better because the hose fits in a part of the hood where there is space. If the hat was turned towards the intake box then it would again hit a lower portion of the hood bracing.
0116121432.jpg  
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just took it for a spin and there is a slight difference. Feels like it pulls a little harder through the gears and takes less effort to get it going from a stop. There is a slight whistle now. I also have a modded TB.
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
Fishhead
1996 ZJ 

Did you plug that hole in the front of the hat where a hose connects? Maybe that is where the whistling is coming from, I would plug it up, dirt/dust will be sucking in there.
Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Did you plug that hole in the front of the hat where a hose connects? Maybe that is where the whistling is coming from, I would plug it up, dirt/dust will be sucking in there.
I used the lid from my wife's chap stick to cap the breather inlet. It's on there so tight I can't pull it off. That solution caused another problem that I wasn't able to fix so easily. She is pissed off that her chap stick is lidless. It sounds a bit like the K&N I had on my old ZJ.
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #29
extrememarine
1994 ZJ 

M1

Directions from Mopar state M1 MPI intake puts TB at same elevation above engine / below hood as OEM intake (aka kegger) - If there's a difference, it's less than mm's - I can't tell a difference on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Yea, isn't the M1 taller than the kegger?

Extrememarine
extrememarine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #30
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Just took it for a spin and there is a slight difference. Feels like it pulls a little harder through the gears and takes less effort to get it going from a stop. There is a slight whistle now. I also have a modded TB.
Nice cheap mod! You should reset the computer maybe.

whistle is usually a leak
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.