Duplicolor bumper/trim or rust paint for rims? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Duplicolor bumper/trim or rust paint for rims?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Duplicolor bumper/trim or rust paint for rims?

Just wondering if anyone feels one is better than the other...my rims are the typical factory stock cast aluminum...
I just painted my grille with flat black Duplicolor "bumper & trim" paint and it looks really good...
I'm guessing, that the Duplicolour is specially made to better attach to plastic, but not sure how it would perform on the rims (I could be wrong, but it seems, that there is some sort of a plastic coating on the stock rims as well)
Has anyone tried either of those paints on the rims?

angry_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Yes, the stock rims have a heavy clear coat on them that should be removed if you're going to paint the entire rim.

I don't know if the Bumper/Trim paint would hold up on rims, never tried it, I've only used Krylon and Duplicolor on rims, applied over a clean primered surface. Then after painting I let them sit in the (summer) sun for 5 or 6 hours to "bake" the paint. Seems to last longer than if I don't "bake" it.

Another option would be powder coat, that'll last almost forever.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanx Ken
One of the gentelman at Partsource, has brought to my attention, that there is also Duplicolor specifically designed for rims...
It was no brainer after that...

Took me about one hour and I used up most of the 1 can with excellent results.
Considering I broke just about every rule in the book...the outside temperature was only about 8 degrees (Celsius), it was pretty windy and the masking tape was pretty much useless (too old), but I managed to use it on the top of the bolts...
Took the faux chrome center caps off and just went to town...
Went with the satin black....the center cap and the bolts provide a nice chrome contrast...
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

here's some pics
photo-57-.jpg   photo-58-.jpg   photo-59-.jpg  
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Looks good, a lot better than a stock rim with peeling clearcoat!

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

True...and peeling it was!
All I did to prep the surface, was wipe it down with some de-greaser..
Also it was pretty oxidized, but you would never know, unless you put your nose right to it...
Sorry about the size of those pics, I thought it would re-size automatically...not very good with computers..
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
huntley1110

i used truck spray on bed liner on mine, 10 bucks a can at auto zone, i have done my rims grill, fuel door, and am in the process of doing my trim and fender wells in the next couple of days, take a wire wheel to the rim, clean it off n spray a few coats on and your good to go, and best part is if it gets scratched or dinged its not an expensive fix.
huntley1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

I'm also playing with the idea of doing the plastic cladding as well, but not sure about the fender wells....could you post some pics from different angles when you are done?
I kind of like the contrast between the black and the grey, so for now I just treated the cladding with "Mother's back to black" plastic restore....it did an ok job, but a little streaky.... I think it might need another coat....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.