Dual OME SS Setup - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dual OME SS Setup

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Dual OME SS Setup

After having way too many problems getting everything working, I am 95% complete now

Started off with a missing UCA bolt:

After trying to remove the DLE (Drag Link End) from the pitman arm, so I could replace the OEM drag link with the JKS drag link, failing, then buying a new DLE because I was going to burn off the old one...Only after all that did I realize that I could just unscrew the drag link from the ends

Ok, so new drag link installed and SS's on there

Hmm, look at my orig SS, it looks like crap. I'll take it off and see how well it works. I then proceeded to struggle getting the axle side SS bolt out...rocks had hit the threads pretty good:

That unfortunantly prevented me from bolting back up with that bolt since the screwed up threads destroyed the nut...yep the nut that is welded to the bracket. So I spent 15 minutes with a dremmel trying to cut off the nut, but kept breaking cut off wheels.

Which leaves me with this, a single SS between my trackbar and drag link.

Which works well...drove it and it felt better then the original setup. No doubt mostly because of a newer SS.

Unread 12-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

But oh wait, I am not done yet, lots to work on because it is a Jeep
I have the springs out, might as well test the bump stops. Oh wait, they don't work! Shock is 100% compressed and bump stop is still 2+" away from being effective. This is already after the bump stop extensiosn that I paid an embaressing amount of money for from Kevin.

One more thing
While snow bashing this past weekend, while I was being recovered from a snowbank we smelled something funny. Thought it was the tranny but thankfully it was working great still. Found out that it was my diff vent tube that had been pushed against my exhaust manifold and melted a bit:

Oh yeah, I also changed my windshield wipers and topped off the washer fluid
Unread 12-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

And some technical information, when determining how far to place the OME SS's as to make sure it doesn't max compress/expand...they are 12.5" compressed and 20" expanded (eye-to-eye)

So when placing them, turn the wheel all the way to the right which would put it in the compressed state, then space the SS such that it is ~13" eye-to-eye. Also do this when the vehicle is at ride height. Mine changed several inches since mine was originally with the suspenion drooping.
Unread 12-13-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Make sure that second one is tight so the bracket doesn't move, about two months ago, I guess it losened up on me and when I turned left it actually binded up and I couldn't turn more than a few degrees to the left, I had to make right turns to get home, that's an interesting thing to have to do

So it looks like you got to spend some quality time with the Jeep, ah you know you love it

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:42 AM   #5
nierace
2003 WJ 

Nice write up...what are you gonna do for the bump stops, just get longer bolts and put washers inbetween the bumpstop block & unibody? Or the hockey puck on axle route?
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Those control arms look so beefy.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #7
capeennui

My karma seems to have vacationed at your place for the time-being. I didn't send it, I promise.
capeennui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
Nice write up...what are you gonna do for the bump stops, just get longer bolts and put washers inbetween the bumpstop block & unibody? Or the hockey puck on axle route?
I am going to email Kevin and ask him wtf I paid for...

And to Ken: Yeah I am pretty sure I have them clamped down pretty tight. I am in the process of buying a muffler from Kolak and when I have the shop weld on the muffler, I am going to have them cut off the old nut so I can install the other SS as well...
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #9
nierace
2003 WJ 

You have the terraflex 2" block right ?
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I am not running any extened bumpstop and it was my fender that stoped my flex, not my shocks.
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:59 AM   #11
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Yep, the 2" bump stops extensions.

Well I had my spring out when testing and my tire gone, so as far as I know my tire may limit my flex before my shocks do as well...
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #12
///BHRpowered

So on a scale of 1-10 how hard is this dual SS to install? I'v been eying it for awhile, but don't have the tools to really cut, weld, or doing custom type work. Not to mention the patience to spend all weekend doing it.....or make only right turns to get home.

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370949]2000 Millenia S...Five figure spending account[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384051]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee...Gone but never forgotton[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383985]2003 BMW M3 SMG...For Sale, PM if interested[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2484240]2000 "Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.[/url]
"A dark and bitter chill fills the air. once thriving life wallows away into ash as he slithers past, the very stars themselfs part to make way for his haunting, yet oddly claim arrival. Bhr approaches." - Hatter

"But i have to say, BHR's rants go hand in hand with moring coffee to get my day started - RXL"

Admin - [url]http://www.mazdaworld.net[/url]
///BHRpowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
mdsuave13
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
I am not running any extened bumpstop and it was my fender that stoped my flex, not my shocks.
hey, whatever works right????
Unread 12-13-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Nice pics Ryan.

Wow, bump-stops eh... that is pretty surprising that they do not even come close.

The ZJ is a different design, but I know I would hit them with only RE 3.5" springs.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #15
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BHRpowered
So on a scale of 1-10 how hard is this dual SS to install? I'v been eying it for awhile, but don't have the tools to really cut, weld, or doing custom type work. Not to mention the patience to spend all weekend doing it.....or make only right turns to get home.
Well since I was replacing the draglink anyways, it was really easy to remove the old drag link and slide on the bracket. If you didn't do that, it is a pretty big PITA (not difficult, just a PITA) to pry open the bracket so it'll fit over the drag link.

There are no fabrication skills required. Once you get the brackets on the trackbar AND the draglink, then it just takes some time to position the brackets such that the max compression/expansion don't max out the SS...I would rate it a 4 I suppose, just because of the stupid brackets.

Oh yeah I forgot, you need a 1/2" drill bit to drill out the brackets to fit the new bolts.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.