dual exhaust? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > dual exhaust?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 12-01-2001, 02:02 PM   #1
redneckwithajeep

dual exhaust?

been thinkin about this for a while. i thought of a muffler (maybe gibson?) with dual outlets and doing the piping from the muffler out the back myself. any tips from anyone who did the same thing or any insights?
thanx

'94 zj, 4.0, stock (Sadly)
redneckwithajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
hackler94zj
1994 ZJ 

i hrad a zj with duals man it sounded great go for it try and of road use flowmax they are made from powdercoated diamondplate
hackler94zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Meh. Anything other than true duals is a waste of time. And true duals are stupid hard to fit.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckwithajeep View Post
been thinkin about this for a while. i thought of a muffler (maybe gibson?) with dual outlets and doing the piping from the muffler out the back myself. any tips from anyone who did the same thing or any insights?
thanx
Putting a muffler with a single input and dual output completely defeats the purpose of true duals. The only benefit (It's not even beneficial in my book) would be the looks. You wont notice nay power gains and the sound wont sound like true dual exhaust. Besides you have a 4.0.... I really don't see the point in doing this. IMO for a 4-wheeler you want the simplest, most compact and out-of-the-way exhaust possible. I have a 5.2 V8 and I'm running stock tailpipe with just an after market muffler, it really does sound good. I had the same set-up on my old XJ with the 4.0 and it also sounded good. What are you expecting to gain?

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Meh. Anything other than true duals is a waste of time. And true duals are stupid hard to fit.
Correct.

You would be aided by the fact that you'd be running two smaller pipes (and the vehicle assembly is already cleared for the cross-under pipe, so you could probably fit it into the channel if you're careful,) but doing a single entry into a dual outlet muffler really won't do much. And, you'd have a stupid hard time fitting two mufflers under there - even if you went with shorty glasspacks, or even shorty headers and header horns... (Although the last is probably the easiest way to go. But, you'd probably have to have the headers made for you for that application and intended use. And don't even start talking to me lightly about meeting emissions requirements - you'd be up to your arse in technical issues before you can bend the first pipe. It's a lot of engineering - but it's going to be the shortest way there.)
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
collister90
1999 TJ Wrangler 

anyone seen the dates on this sh**
collister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by collister90 View Post

Just a little old
Unread 04-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by collister90 View Post
"Is it ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care!"

Seriously, I don't bother to check the dates - I see an interesting question come up, I'll take a swat at it. It will probably still help someone down the line, so it isn't time wasted.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.