Drop Pitman Arm? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Drop Pitman Arm?

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 06-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Drop Pitman Arm?

So I recently purchased the IRO 4.5 inch lift kit for my zj and I was talking to my mechanic and he said its going to require a drop pitman arm with that much lift. So I've been looking and I noticed they come in a lot of lengths so I was hoping someone on here could tell me what size I should get. The IRO website only seems to have a 1 3/4 inch one. Will that be enough? Any input would be greatly appreciated

MrMoosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
You would get much better results from running OTK steering and flipping the trackbar above the axle from under it. Requires welding, but you get much more horizontal angles on the trackbar & draglink, and the tierod above the axle centerline, away from rocks etc..

If you want to run drop pitman arm, you MUST have a trackbar frame-end mount that drops the trackbar mounting point lower so that draglink and trackbar are parallel. If you don't do that, you'll get bumpsteer.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj
You would get much better results from running OTK steering and flipping the trackbar above the axle from under it. Requires welding, but you get much more horizontal angles on the trackbar & draglink, and the tierod above the axle centerline, away from rocks etc..

If you want to run drop pitman arm, you MUST have a trackbar frame-end mount that drops the trackbar mounting point lower so that draglink and trackbar are parallel. If you don't do that, you'll get bumpsteer.
Alright thanks and yea I'm just going to run a drop pitman because I don't have the tools or the know-how to start cutting and welding things. Basically I just need to know what size arm I need for a 4.5 inch lift
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

To put it bluntly, your mechanic is a retard. You do not need a DPA or OTK steering at 4.5" of lift.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
To put it bluntly, your mechanic is a retard. You do not need a DPA or OTK steering at 4.5" of lift.
Not needed for sure. DPA really is never needed; if you need one, then go OTK. If that's not enough, then you've got way too much lift

However, OTK steering at 4.5" of lift will result in a lot better steering geometry - and as I mentioned it'll raise the tierod out of the way on the trails.. I'm running OTK at 1.75" lift, and haven't seen one single drawback going that route. IMO every single offroad vehicle should've come equipped with OTK steering from the factory. Who was the idiot who thought it's a good idea to put the tierod below the centerline of the axle?!

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
MrMoosecakes
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj

Not needed for sure. DPA really is never needed; if you need one, then go OTK. If that's not enough, then you've got way too much lift

However, OTK steering at 4.5" of lift will result in a lot better steering geometry - and as I mentioned it'll raise the tierod out of the way on the trails.. I'm running OTK at 1.75" lift, and haven't seen one single drawback going that route. IMO every single offroad vehicle should've come equipped with OTK steering from the factory. Who was the idiot who thought it's a good idea to put the tierod below the centerline of the axle?!
Alright cool thanks. So I'm kinda on a budget right now so could I want till further down the road to upgrade to OTK? What would the major drawbacks be keeping the original steering for he time being? I will be driving this jeep to work so it needs to be street safe haha
Unread 06-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Zero drawbacks. I ran the stock setup until I bent it, then changed to Currie.

Still aligns and drives fine. No DPA and no OTK.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Zero drawbacks
More prone to DW, a bit more strain on the steering linkage/ trackbar/ trackbar mount. When wheeling, under extreme flex can run out of TRE flex. Stuff will wear out a bit faster compared to OTK due to steeper angles.

Other than that, no issues. I ran stock steering on my XJ on 4.5" lift and it was fine. I'm not saying OTK is needed, but it is better than UTK @ 4.5" lift

***Under construction***

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.