Drop down tailgate for ZJ jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Drop down tailgate for ZJ jeep?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

Drop down tailgate for ZJ jeep?

I'm new to the forum so I apologize ahead of time If I break a rule or something. I have been looking online for a few hours now (including in the forums) and I cant find anything about a drop down tailgate conversion for a ZJ Jeep. Has anyone heard of or done something like this? Basically, imagine the back end of a truck with a camper, how the tailgate goes down and the camper window goes up. I want to make the hatch on my jeep basically do that, that way when camping and stuff I have a tailgate/table, and plus I think it would just be pretty cool to have. Anyone heard of it before and have any pointers?

joeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Welcome to JF.

I think some of the guys have made pull-out camping tables, but I've not seen a tailgate arrangement yet.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The only tailgate conversions I've seen on ZJ's are the chop top crowd and those are pretty rare (and usually poorly documented).

You can get a start with the 96+ flipper glass gate, but that leaves you with a fair bit of work.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

Isn't the flipper glass gate just the glass pane going up while the rest of the hatch is still just there? The work doesn't bother me too much, I was just curious if anyone has done it before to make my job a little easier, haha. I'm thinking about buying a hatch off of craigslist and getting a rough draft done. Unless it works, then it will be the final copy.
Unread 06-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yes the glass is the only thing that moves, unlike a land rover that has a flip up glass and tailgate.

You could start with that and modify the top half of the gate to stay in place, then reinforce the lower section to take hinges and find a way to put in the latches.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Kg,you mean the gate doesnt lift up?
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #7
iann32
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The only tailgate conversions I've seen on ZJ's are the chop top crowd and those are pretty rare (and usually poorly documented).

You can get a start with the 96+ flipper glass gate, but that leaves you with a fair bit of work.
Did find something a while ago on somebody how did a chop top with a tail gate ill see if I still have the link on my computer when I get home
iann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2014, 05:59 PM   #8
iann32
1995 ZJ 

I dont think its quite like what you wanted but hopefully it helps get the ideas flowing. http://jeephorizons.com/tech/zj_top.html
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:12 PM   #9
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

That was a lot more of a build than what I had in mind, haha but it definitely got the juices flowing. Basically what I had in mind is the only thing that would really need major modifications would be the hatch, and none of the body (Other than maybe the bottom where the tailgate would have to be mounted to pivot). I would probably cut the hatch in half horizontally where he had his cut. I think where the pin striping is. That way the window would already be still mounted in the stock location along with the shocks to hold up the hatch. So other than cleaning up the cut the top part would be basically done, and the bottom would just need to be modded. My girlfriend loves my jeep, but I don't know how happy she will be if I chopped up a hatch.. guess we will find out.
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
iann32
1995 ZJ 

That sounds like that could work out pretty well. If you do it post some pics up, I'd like to see how that comes out.
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Id like to see this happen

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
Id like to see this happen
x2
Unread 06-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
joeyfish
1993 ZJ 

Haha alright! As soon as I find a hatch off craigslist or whatever, I'm going to start on this. And I'll definitely post pics up along the way for some more input and suggestions.
Unread 06-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #14
davidtownsend
2006 WK 

I think this would be a pretty cool idea. Then you can have a table and storage. Probably awesome for camping.
1403925876520.jpg

Unread 06-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #15
iann32
1995 ZJ 

Thats pretty sick!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.