Driving Without a Driveshaft In The Rain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driving Without a Driveshaft In The Rain

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 07-02-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Driving Without a Driveshaft In The Rain

Just wanted to warn all of you with bad VC couplers who are thinking about pulling your front driveshaft. I did this a week or so ago, and I didn't have any idea how bad it would make my ZJ drive in the rain! Tires were spinning out and the ground was barely wet. Not worth risking the damage by leaving it in until you do a TC swap or get a new VC, but just something to be aware of!

Unread 07-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

No offense but you must either have bad tires or don't know how to ease the gas pedal down when taking off from a stop. IMO The damage having a bad VC far out weighs what can happen in the rain if you don't know how to drive in 2wd.
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

Tires are new as of last summer, so I don't think so. You may be right about having a heavy foot when moving from a stop sign, but it happens no matter how hard or lightly I hit it.
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

New tires can still be junk.
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #5
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

I drove through a crap winter, with no front DS, crappy half bald tires, a shot suspension, and had not 1 single problem. Same goes for the rain.

-AJ
marduksenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You have a 4.0 though

Yes the V8's can be touchy and tail happy in 2wd if the road conditions aren't great, once you get used to it it's not bad though.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
sebian
1995 ZJ 

You also have to remember that in light rain, the roads can be far slicker than after a steady rain. The light rain only brings the oils in the road to the surface, where the steady rain can start washing those oils away, providing slightly improved traction. Just watch out for hydroplaning...

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
jeepjeepster

Ive heard of people doing 360's in the 5.9 when they really didnt want to. Gotta take it easy when youre use to awd in a v8. More so with a limited slip.

And youre 100% correct about light rain. Ive slid several times in a light rain when i really shouldve have. Everyones leaky rear mains build up on the road haha.
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Roads are most slick right after it rains. Drive Iike a granny.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #10
marduksenforcer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
You have a 4.0 though

Yes the V8's can be touchy and tail happy in 2wd if the road conditions aren't great, once you get used to it it's not bad though.
Good point, good point...

-AJ
marduksenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
elijahpr
1998 ZJ 

I didn't know that about light rain and oils, good to know. Supposed to be a nasty thunderstorm tonight, so maybe I'll take her out and try not being so heavy on the gas on takeoffs.

As for the tires being the issue, they did fine with the driveshaft in when it rained. So chances are it's not those.

AJ, it's looking a lot like I'll be doing the same this winter
Unread 07-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I did a 360 in my green one with a front driveshaft once. First rain in months and it had only sprinkled for a few minutes. I took a right onto a freeway ramp and the back end passed me.

The niner without the driveshaft and the crappy PO tires would spin tires all day at a light even on dry pavement.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

This isn't a driveshaft issue or an issue with having only 2wd.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
This isn't a driveshaft issue or an issue with having only 2wd.
True, learn to drive.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #15
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cherry View Post
No offense but you must either have bad tires or don't know how to ease the gas pedal down when taking off from a stop. IMO The damage having a bad VC far out weighs what can happen in the rain if you don't know how to drive in 2wd.
Exactly.

You don't need full time 4wd to drive in the rain. The vast majority of cars on the road at 2wd.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.