Drivetrain Noise at Highway Speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivetrain Noise at Highway Speeds

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 06-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
vlassic
1997 ZJ 

Drivetrain Noise at Highway Speeds

Hi all,

This is my first ZJ and so far I really like it. It is a 97 with the 5.2 and the np249 with 135,000 miles. I'm hearing a growling noise at highway speeds that is coming from somewhere in the front end. It almost sounds like tire noise you would get if you had a lower ball joint out. It doesn't seem to change if I swerve back and forth. I jacked up the front and and I couldn't detect any play in either of the front wheels. There is no abnormal tire wear. It does have a slight pull to the right but I don't think that's related. It probably just needs an alignment.

I'm not really asking for a magical internet diagnosis but wanted to ask where how to start troubleshootnig. I've had 2 XJ's before an neither one did anything like this.

vlassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
jeepycreepy96

I just had a noise like loud tire noise it turned out to be the hub bearings going bad. I changed them out and everything Is perfect again. Do you know if the hubs were replaced?
jeepycreepy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
vlassic
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepycreepy96 View Post
I just had a noise like loud tire noise it turned out to be the hub bearings going bad. I changed them out and everything Is perfect again. Do you know if the hubs were replaced?
I'm pretty sure both hubs are original. Everyone I've talked to about it says it sounds like hub bearings. I had my dad listen to it and he thinks the noise is coming from the right side. Since the Jeep also slightly pulls to the right at highway speeds, I'll try that side first. I'm going to pick up a hub assembly tomorrow and see if that quiets it down.
Unread 06-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Do them both if you can. You gotta figure that if they're both original, they both have the same miles, and life expectancy.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
vlassic
1997 ZJ 

I replaced the passenger side hub and the noise is gone. I don't have enough money to do the driver side this month, but I'll definitely do it as soon as I can. I think I can hear it making a little bit of noise now that the loud noise of the bad passenger side hub is gone.

Cracking the axle nut was probably the hardest part. I bent my breaker bar about 45 degrees trying to crack it with a cheater bar. I kept hitting it with pb blaster and and tapping the breaker bar with a hammer and eventually got it cracked. You can't have enough BFH and pb blaster.

Thanks for the input!

Edit: Oh and it still has the pull to the right. Probably just needs an alignment, or a tie rod end is loose.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.