Drivetain vibration and noise. 95 5.2 ZJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Whiskeyirish

Drivetain vibration and noise. 95 5.2 ZJ

I recently bought a 95 ZJ 5.2(automatic) from a friend. I've noticed before when riding with him that every now and then there would be a vibration for just one or two seconds. (Almost identical to running over the rumble strips on the side of a highway, just not quite as loud or as bumpy and only lasted a second or two.) I drive it everyday now. Sometimes it does that and sometimes it doesnt. I feel like it's during shifts when it happens but not 100% sure.

If I step on the gas as soon as it happens it goes away immediately.

Other than this vibration. It shifts great and holds tranny fluid perfectly. Any ideas on what it could be?

Also, the All time 4x4 makes the tight inner city driving a real pain in the arse.

Would there be any serious reprocussion to removing either driveshaft for the time being. I'll be getting a new daily driver around the new year and I'd probably replace it then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 02:09 AM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

95 cooks the vc if you pull the front shaft. Can't pull the rear one either.

Get a new vc or swap the case, 231 is best clearance and simplest, 242 is same size and can have it's quirks.

Could be harmonic balancer, do you feel it in any part in particular (steering, pedals)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If the viscous coupler is already bad then pulling the front shaft would certainly finish it off but I guess it doesn't matter at that point.
It's less stress on the tires and front end.
It will roll in park with the front shaft removed though.
You'd better not park on uneven ground and make sure your emergency brake works well.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-24-2017, 09:02 PM
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
.. Also I'll only throw this out there because you only have 1 post. But on our ZJ's running different size tires will cause you jeep to have a jump or quirk in it turning.
.. I remember the techs at the Jeep & Chrysler dealership I worked at wouldn't even tell people it they blew a tire. ThEY TOLD THE CUSTOMER that they had to BUY A COMPLETE NEW SET OF TIRES.
... So at least check your tires & make sure all 4 match & have the same amount of thread.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Whiskeyirish

Thanks for all of the info guys. I've noticed here lately since the weather has gotten colder is hasn't done it at all.

I don't know if it has anything to do with me making sure overdrive is off Everytime I drive it but it's definitely not happened at all lately

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.