Driveshaft vibrations - angle or VC? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driveshaft vibrations - angle or VC?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

I adjusted the front LCA's in about half an inch and it took up 0.1º of the difference between the pinion angle and driveshaft angle. Sounds pretty negligible to me...

I also calculated that by reinstalling the ½" transfer case drop that the p/o had installed that I took out, I can account for 1.3º.

At that point, it would still be 9.2º off and I'm guessing I'd still have issues... is it worth reinstalling the drop? I can't afford adjustable uppers right now.

Also, I noticed the u-joints are not "in phase" with each other. Could that be causing some vibrations, or is that not necessary with a double cardan joint?

Unread 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #17
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The front pinion should be pointed right at the t case as in pic B. The rear should look like A. If it's set up right you never need a t case drop which just negates the lift in the first place.
picture-18.png  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post
I adjusted the front LCA's in about half an inch and it took up 0.1º of the difference between the pinion angle and driveshaft angle. Sounds pretty negligible to me...

I also calculated that by reinstalling the ½" transfer case drop that the p/o had installed that I took out, I can account for 1.3º.

At that point, it would still be 9.2º off and I'm guessing I'd still have issues... is it worth reinstalling the drop? I can't afford adjustable uppers right now.

Also, I noticed the u-joints are not "in phase" with each other. Could that be causing some vibrations, or is that not necessary with a double cardan joint?
Use the adjustable lower s to get it as far back as you can. The "out of phase" is what I told you the problem was on the first page.
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
Use the adjustable lower s to get it as far back as you can. The "out of phase" is what I told you the problem was on the first page.
Shorten the CA's as far as they'll go? I feel like the tires are gonna rub...

I'll see about getting the joints in phase now and re-adjust the arms tomorrow when I have more time.
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Shorten the CA's as far as they'll go? I feel like the tires are gonna rub...

I'll see about getting the joints in phase now and re-adjust the arms tomorrow when I have more time.
The joints won't be in phase unless you correct them to the proper angle shown to you in 2 different pictures now. If the uppers are stock then the lowers will end up close to stock length
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #21
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
The joints won't be in phase unless you correct them to the proper angle shown to you in 2 different pictures now. If the uppers are stock then the lowers will end up close to stock length
By in phase, I was talking about the pinion end u-joint being in phase with the double cardan end u-joint. I had the slip yoke apart, and when I reinstalled it I didn't have them lined up correctly.

In the process of pulling the shaft out and the slip yoke back apart, I found 2 of the 3 u-joints have play in them. They were fine when I installed them, I'm guessing driving around with vibrations caused them to go bad?
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #22
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
By in phase, I was talking about the pinion end u-joint being in phase with the double cardan end u-joint. I had the slip yoke apart, and when I reinstalled it I didn't have them lined up correctly.

In the process of pulling the shaft out and the slip yoke back apart, I found 2 of the 3 u-joints have play in them. They were fine when I installed them, I'm guessing driving around with vibrations caused them to go bad?
No, driving with an improper pinion angle killed them. You bind all three joints by not having the proper pinion angle.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #23
moldeck

Same topic, but different problem. Had a U-joint problem in the front. Joints looked good but the pin and spring in the middle of the double U-joint was blown out causing a very bad vibration. Just an FYI if you are doing a search on drive shaft vib.
moldeck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #24
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldeck View Post
Same topic, but different problem. Had a U-joint problem in the front. Joints looked good but the pin and spring in the middle of the double U-joint was blown out causing a very bad vibration. Just an FYI if you are doing a search on drive shaft vib.
Already replaced that, for the same reason.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #25
tevisesplin

Try tightening the nut that holds the yoke to the t case front output shaft. my jeep would vibrate starting at 65 mph but wouldnt with the front shaft removed. tried all sorts of things but it seems tightening the front output shaft yoke nut did the trick. I have no idea what the torque spec is though.
tevisesplin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #26
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevisesplin View Post
Try tightening the nut that holds the yoke to the t case front output shaft. my jeep would vibrate starting at 65 mph but wouldnt with the front shaft removed. tried all sorts of things but it seems tightening the front output shaft yoke nut did the trick. I have no idea what the torque spec is though.
Funny this thread gets bumped the day I finish my NP242 swap.

Now that I can have the jeep in 2wd, there is no more clunking noise. In 4wd it's still there, so it's definitely the bad pinion angle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.