Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

driveshaft u-bolts universal?

716 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  a70eliminator 
#1 ·
Hi all, concerning my recently aquired $200.00 wrecked ZJ.
The front driveshaft had been removed and was given to me with the vehicle, the guy said he took it out after the wreck to work on the exhaust pipe that had been smashed, he then just gave up on the whole project. i'm wanting to put the shaft back in to test out the transfer case to see if it's any good but I have no u-bolts, can they be bought over the counter like at autozone help me isle. also it looks like the case end has 4 bolts rather than two u bolts and I'll need those too are they metric, sorry for all the questions I'm feeling too lazy to investigate on my own. whats the best way to prove integrity of the viscous coupler?

#2 ·
yea the bolts that attach the ds to the transfer case are 8mm bolts. and there is not way to "improve" the integrity of a viscous coupler, it is a sealed unit so fluid cant be changed, the only thing you can do is ensure your tires are all properly inflated to the same psi and never run a diff size spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.