driveshaft/differential problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > driveshaft/differential problem?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
mntsitalons

driveshaft/differential problem?

Got a 95 grand cherokee and the transfer case blew up a while back. I was having trouble finding the cv style drive shaft so today i finally got the yoke on the front end switched out and installed the ujoint style ds. Everything fit well, except for when i started driving it, the front end seems tight. There's quite a bit of sound coming from the what sounds like the front differential. It didn't make any sounds until I installed the driveshaft.

Any thoughts on what this would be? Pinion/Carrier bearings?
Thanks.

mntsitalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #2
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

What transfer case do you have? Have you been driving it without the front driveshaft?
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

lemme guess
you just cranked the pinion nut off, slapped the new yoke on, and bubba tightened it back down?

or you burned up the VC on your "new" transfer case by driving it with no front driveshaft
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket
lemme guess
you just cranked the pinion nut off, slapped the new yoke on, and bubba tightened it back down?
The correct way is to impact it on.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
mntsitalons

Its the 249 tc. I wasnt sure what took the transfer case out to begin with,so I just put the ds on temporary to see if the front end was making noise. It was making noise before the transfer case went out. I drove it for a half mile after installing the drive shaft, didnt figure it would cause a problem just wanted to hear what was going on. Maybe I screwed more up by doing that And yes I've been driving it without the driveshaft for a while now.
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntsitalons
Its the 249 tc. I wasnt sure what took the transfer case out to begin with,so I just put the ds on temporary to see if the front end was making noise. It was making noise before the transfer case went out. I drove it for a half mile after installing the drive shaft, didnt figure it would cause a problem just wanted to hear what was going on. Maybe I screwed more up by doing that And yes I've been driving it without the driveshaft for a while now.
No, if you screwed anything up, it's the vc in the new case by driving it without that front shaft.. And it sounds like your problem actually originates from the front diff.
Built not bought #512
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
The correct way is to impact it on.
my guess is the pinion preload is too much (cant un-crush a crush sleeve) , and you have a toasted Viscous Coupler in the transfer case

welcome to the forum and research is important!
Unread 08-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
mntsitalons

Alright well regarding the viscous coupler are they the same on all 249's? I found out that there are 2 different input shaft lengths in the 249. The original one that went out was an inch longer than the 249 i bought to replace it, so I had to find another case with the longer shaft. The shorter shaft wouldnt reach the seals ;( So would the coupler be the same on the other case I still have? Even after I swtich that out i think I need a new pinion. Also I'm doing this because I want to sell it. It has 140k miles on it and the motor and tranny is solid. I'm not sure if I should put the money into it to fix it or just sell it as is....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.