Driveshaft bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driveshaft bolts

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
johnnygoose
1998 ZJ 

Driveshaft bolts

Where can I find the front driveshaft bolts, the ones on the differential side not the transfer case side. There's six of them and the dealer wants $7 each. Don't think a regular bolt will work.

johnnygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i have some, i just swapped the cv style drive shaft to the u joint style
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

I got mine at the bolt supply house here,i forget what its called though. I believe its just an 8mm, i dont remember it being anything special. and they weren't expensive at all, i ended up buying the guy a coffee so he didn't have to do any paper works for such a little order.

do you have at least one good one for comparison?
Unread 11-18-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

These are the ones that hold the little straps right?

Im positive I have a bunch laying around from 2 or 3 shafts. If I have them mail would probably take 4 days or so.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
These are the ones that hold the little straps right?

Im positive I have a bunch laying around from 2 or 3 shafts. If I have them mail would probably take 4 days or so.
yea, do you have any shafts? i broke mine at the cv
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
johnnygoose
1998 ZJ 

These bolts are threaded the entire length, the bolts at the hardware store are not and it looked like the part that was not threaded was a larger diameter. Maybe that small difference won't matter. I would rather have the originals. I'll post a picture tonight and anyone that has three for sale that match can PM me.
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Any auto parts store should carry them. I bought a set of 4, complete with u-joint straps, from Pep Boys for something like $3.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
bboylobo
2007 JK Wrangler 

i got mine at an auto parts store. they are 1.25 x 8m
bboylobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #9
johnnygoose
1998 ZJ 

Here's a picture of one. I work mon - fri can't get to a supply house. Any auto parts stores carry these.
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

napa would carry them for sure, probably any other parts stores too.
they might come in a kit with new straps, but wouldn't be very expensive anyways
Unread 11-18-2010, 11:43 PM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygoose View Post
These bolts are threaded the entire length, the bolts at the hardware store are not and it looked like the part that was not threaded was a larger diameter. Maybe that small difference won't matter. I would rather have the originals. I'll post a picture tonight and anyone that has three for sale that match can PM me.
Sounds like you have a compantion flange, not a yoke. Ergo, the strap screws aren't likely to work for you (for most light-duty automotive apps, the strap screws are 1/4"-28. Companion flange screws can be 5/16", 3/8", M8, or M10.)

As for the shoulder - standard practise (ISO or SAE) is to thread the screw for up to three times its nominal diameter - a 1/4" screw, 1" long, will be threaded for 3/4" of its length and the 1/4" directly under the head will be full nominal diameter with no threads (called "shoulder" or "grip.")

Most hardware stores and such will stick to this standard. You can get fully-threaded screws, but they generally have to be had from a fastener house - they can be had rather easily from Fastenal. Check their site (Home | Fastenal) for a branch local to you - they're a handy source, and their only flaw is that they tend to keep banker's hours.

A CV-style pinion flange is probably late enough that it's an ISO screw, and light enough that it's probably an M8-1.25. Do you recall what wrench you used to remove it, and whether the head of the screw had hash marks (SAE) or a number (ISO?)
Unread 11-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

U-pull , cheap if not free . Mine would not charge me for a few bolts . If you need those washers , get em there too .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #13
johnnygoose
1998 ZJ 

It is a CV-Style flange. The bolts are metric and I think it was an 8mm socket that I used. Tried Advance Auto their hardware section was pathetic, I'll try some of the others Saturday.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.