Driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driveshaft

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Driveshaft

So i bought my niner front driveshaft free. I'm guessing because the VC was shot but I never got a chance to test that theory. New t-case went in when I replaced the trans. Got a new driveshaft from a new friend on the forum and tossed it in.

The bolts that hold the axle end of the driveshaft are as tight as I can make them with a ratchet but they aren't putting any compression on the linked washers. I'm guessing thats not normal. My assumption is that as the po ran without the DS for what looks like a while it is just rusted at the end of the threads and wont go in. Should I just pull them and soak it in pb blaster or wd-40 and try again? How much vibration is acceptable when the DS goes in? It vibes a little more and doesn't want to move in idle anymore. Should I pop the diff cover and check the gears?

Any and all help appreciated, the 96 has a bad steering box, so I need this one running.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Jdsurratt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
So i bought my niner front driveshaft free. I'm guessing because the VC was shot but I never got a chance to test that theory. New t-case went in when I replaced the trans. Got a new driveshaft from a new friend on the forum and tossed it in.

The bolts that hold the axle end of the driveshaft are as tight as I can make them with a ratchet but they aren't putting any compression on the linked washers. I'm guessing thats not normal. My assumption is that as the po ran without the DS for what looks like a while it is just rusted at the end of the threads and wont go in. Should I just pull them and soak it in pb blaster or wd-40 and try again? How much vibration is acceptable when the DS goes in? It vibes a little more and doesn't want to move in idle anymore. Should I pop the diff cover and check the gears?

Any and all help appreciated, the 96 has a bad steering box, so I need this one running.
Maybe different bolt lengths and you are bottomed out? Maybe someone can chime in and tell you if there are different bolt lengths depending on driveshaft type. That would be my guess.
Jdsurratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

The bolts were fresh off my 96, but thats a reasonable bet. Maybe I'll put the shaft on the 96 and see what happens? Once I swap the steering box of course.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.