Driverside Whining Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driverside Whining Noise

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 11-02-2005, 09:16 AM   #1
Liamoc

Driverside Whining Noise

When driving to work the other day with the radio off I noticed a whinning coming from the driver side front tire ( at least I think its the front tire). Sounds like the tire is rubbing on something. Stopped checked the tires, no rubbing, tread OK, no leaking,, all seams fine. Start back up whinning starts again when I go over 10-15mph. I don't think its a differential problem because noise continues whether i'm on or off the gas. Anyone have any suggestions as to what this could be?

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
36,000 miles
6 cyl
Select-Track

Last edited by Liamoc; 11-02-2005 at 09:41 AM..
Liamoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:23 AM   #2
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

Do you have quadra-drive? How long have you had it?

QD makes a considerable "whine" that is normal. Perhaps you just didn't notice it before

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:33 AM   #3
Liamoc

I've had the car for about 8 months( purchesed from in-laws) , its 6 cyl , with select-track. (Not sure about quadra-drive) Definately didn't have this noise before. Its pretty loud whith the window open.
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Hmm, are your lug nuts tight? I would look over the steering components in the front and verify everything is tight.

You didn't hit a bump or go over a curb prior to this noise starting, did you? It almost sounds like maybe the alignment is way off. Is it driving straight without any pulling to one side?

I'm still thinking. Need coffee.
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Liamoc

I haven't hit any curbs or large bumps. Just city driving to and from work. Car drives straight with no pulling either way. I did change the driver side rear tire 2 months ago, but this noise just started the other day.
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
jeepholic

Have you tried to jack that side up and spin the wheel, also a stethescope or a screwdriver with your ear pressed against it will help narrow down where it comes from.
Things that go whine;
Wheel bearings
Brakes
No oil in the front diff
pulleys and tensioners
water pumps
Check your belt
Rotate the tires to see if that helps

It's just at 36,000 miles you should not have those problems.

94 I6 ZJ at 4", 33's and front locker and 4.11 gears. Swampy Bypass.
[B]Black Jeep Club Member Ver. 2 #51[/B]
jeepholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Are all of your tires the same tread pattern? Do they have the same amount of tread left? Are you in 4 full time or 2wd?

Still waking up.
Unread 11-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #8
Liamoc

I'll have to jack the car up tonight for closer inspection, But all looked ok ( brakes, tires, etc) Tire tread patterns are all the same with the passagner side rear tire having the least amount of ware. I aired up all tires and was still getting the noise. The whine is hard to tell if its coming from front or back, but i can't believe a new tire could make that much noise.
Unread 11-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

With a unibody it's difficult to pin down noises. Re you feeling any vibration in the wheel or on the gas pedal/ floor area?
I would start with the diffs because hopefully you'll eliminate an expensive problem first. Check your front and rear differential fluid. Unfortunately if it is low on fluid and already whining that not a good thing. Check them and if OK check your transfer case fluid.

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
Jeep-Tech1

It's probably just the hub bearing. Do alot of these on the grands... Hope this helps. Go to napa and get it though. Cause were to high on the part. thank chrysler for that one...
Jeep-Tech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.