Drivers door won't always open on the first try. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Drivers door won't always open on the first try.

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

Drivers door won't always open on the first try.

Ok an odd problem I thought I would bounce off people here. My 94 has an intermittent problem with the drivers side front door. I push the button to open it and... nothing happens.

This happens about one time in 5. And only from the outside. Trying it again works usually. I am quite certain it's not that I am not fully pushing the button in, because I've jammed my thumb painfully twice now trying to open it. Any ideas? Do I need to open up the door or is there an adjustment mechanism on it somewhere?

StridAst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

push the button to open it? do you mean to unlock it? Best bet is to pull the interior door panel off and check whats stuck. Theres just a few bolts (some may be covered by a cover) to take it off, and you probably have a plastic weather guard covering everything on the inside. If you havent seen the inside of a door before it will look a little confusing, but it will make a lot more sense once you start using some logic to figure out what does what.
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #3
StridAst
1994 ZJ 

I don't mean unlock it. I don't usually even lock my zj at the moment. I just mean open it . The button on the handle that works the door latch just works only 80% of the time. Seems odd that its that intermittent. I assume I can open the door up and look, but its likely to be a pain trying to work out what is likely sticking when it only sticks some of the time just trying to pick peoples brains for the best direction to go on this
StridAst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

I used to have this problem...pull the interior panel off and look at the door lock mechanism. There are a few metal rods going to it, and one is from the button outside. Bend the one from the outside a little, then test and see if that fixed it, then repeat until everything is working properly. Mine needed a slight bend and I haven't had a problem since I did that a few years ago.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

mine does the same thing sometimes. i think its because sometimes i let off the button before the door is off the latch all the way. like it catches halfway if that makes sense. like if you dont slam it hard enough and only the first click of the latch engages and the door sticks open a little, thats where its at. i just have to push the button again and it opens no problem. im sure it wouldnt hurt to open the door up and spray down the latch and linkages with some pb blaster

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.