Driveline vibe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driveline vibe

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

Driveline vibe

Have a 98 5.9, stock suspension (and worn).. 206k on the clock.

Recently disconnected front driveshaft, new (to me) rims and tires ( when I bought the jeep it had some old snowflakes on it, found some decent tires on stock limited rims on CL and swapped them), new u joints on rear prop shaft (match marked, installed correctly). The jeep handles ok, needs shocks badly, stock ones still there, waiting on blisteins from Kolack, among other things.

So my problem... Very hard to create. Must be going up a slight grade, rpms at 1400, around 40ish mph. Get a vibe that feels a little less harsh than the washboard on the side of the interstate. It also sounds like you are driving over the washboard. Any throttle change and it's gone. I'm stumped.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Gcnettl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Out of round drive shaft
Bent wheel
Unevenly worn tires
Improperly installed U-joints
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

I took my driveshaft back out. U-joints moved freely. Took them back out and inspected. Reassembled. Nothing was wrong there I'm sure of it, I've installed a lot of u joints.

Tomorrow I plan on getting those tires/rims balanced.

Have done nothing to bend a shaft, wasn't doing it before I swapped everything...

I dunno. I doubt the rims are bent, would seem like it would vibrate over 30 regardless if it were that. But just to rule it out I'll go ahead and balance them.

What are the chances it's something in one of my differentials? That's about the only other thing I could guess. Maybe a bearing perhaps?

I do notice, when making turns at low speed, like at a stop sign.. I hear this "rubbing" sound in the rear. Like something rubbing rubber with every revolution of the tire or driveshaft.. Visually inspecting I see nothing under there. And I know the tires aren't rubbing anywhere.

Edit to say all tires are evenly worn. No abnormal wear either.

Edit again to say I might also jack up the rear, start vehicle and put in drive and observe prop shaft for straightness while spinning.
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do you have a track lock in the rear? Noise from the rear like chirping or wheel hop could be from the track lock. When my wheel bearings went bad is sounded like a metal grinding sound and got louder as it heated up. You know what bad bearings sound like when they get dirt in them. That crunching sand on metal sound.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Whys your front DS dissconnected? Have a bad vc? Im just asking because every once in awhile theres that person removeing parts from there car to try to get better mpg I like to laugh at. What a very odd problem you have indeed.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

Yeah bad vc. Still waiting on parts to repair. Since I got the new tires, I disconnected to keep from wearing them on the front.

I'm not too savy on differentials. Apart from changing the gear oil in them I'm lost.

The noise doesn't sound like a bearing at all. Sounds like something rubbing rubber. Only when I turn though, at low speed, and coming from the rear.

I wonder if a bad trans mount would do it?

It is very hard to re create, the vibe.

The rubbing sound happens every time I turn at low speed, so I'm not even sure they are related.

Edit to ask more about track lock? The differential has nothing attached to it, so if it has a lock it has to be internal to the differential I.e. my Tacoma has an e locker and the locker is located outside of the differential on the housing.

Unread 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcnettl View Post
Yeah bad vc. Still waiting on parts to repair. Since I got the new tires, I disconnected to keep from wearing them on the front.

I'm not too savy on differentials. Apart from changing the gear oil in them I'm lost.

The noise doesn't sound like a bearing at all. Sounds like something rubbing rubber. Only when I turn though, at low speed, and coming from the rear.

I wonder if a bad trans mount would do it?

It is very hard to re create, the vibe.

The rubbing sound happens every time I turn at low speed, so I'm not even sure they are related.

Edit to ask more about track lock? The differential has nothing attached to it, so if it has a lock it has to be internal to the differential I.e. my Tacoma has an e locker and the locker is located outside of the differential on the housing.

lol the track lock is inside the diff. I don't know of any locker that's not. The actuator is probably outside but the locker can work unless it's inside the diff to lock the axles together.
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
lol the track lock is inside the diff. I don't know of any locker that's not.

image-2397109785.jpg

This is what I am referring to.

Unread 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The trac lok is an lsd. Being a niner, you have one. Chirping tires and rubbing sounds during turns sounds like worn out fluid and clutch plates in it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Attachment 467654

This is what I am referring to.

That is the actuator not the locker.http://personalpages.tds.net/~thomps...oma/locker.htm

If you open up the diff on the 5.9 and find metal pieces in there it's probably the thrust washers coming apart. Common on worn out LSD's. You know it's rebuild time for sure if you see that.
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

So by inferring. I have a trac lock in mine, and it's mechanical, and my Tacoma has an e locker which has an externally mounted actuator?

Unread 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
So by inferring. I have a trac lock in mine, and it's mechanical, and my Tacoma has an e locker which has an externally mounted actuator?

No, the actuator is only the electric motor that activates the locker that is inside the diff.

A track lock is limited slip automatically locking. Not as effective as the e locker but better than nothing in most cases. A lot of cars have lsd's in them. Corvettes have them to keep the rear end from sliding around everywhere in turns ect. My 6 speed Acura TL had one in the front since it was crappy FWD to keep it relatively civilized. I hated that FWD.
Unread 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey
The trac lok is an lsd. Being a niner, you have one. Chirping tires and rubbing sounds during turns sounds like worn out fluid and clutch plates in it.
Think this could cause the vibration?

I change the oil in it.

Unread 09-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I don't think an oil changing will stop the vibe but it's probably a good idea to open it up anyways and look for metal bits or worn/ chipped teeth.
Unread 09-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Gcnettl
1998 ZJ 

Ok. I appreciate the help and I'll put that on the long list of things to do. I feel a rear end overhaul in the future too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.