Driveline BLOWN - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Driveline BLOWN

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
singleytools
1998 ZJ 

Driveline BLOWN

Bought a '98 ZJ with 112K highway miles. Swapped a 3" lift from my '93 to the '98. The first "relatively tame" 4 wheeling I did blew out the front driveling. I discovered the forward end is a CV style and the back is a U-joint style. "Fortunatly" I had difficulty getting someone to rebuild or replace it. I didn't like the idea of a used on. What I found out is the lift compromized the angles of the CV style front. Because of the delay, I found a rebuilder who is replacing the CV style with a U-joint style in the front. The told me that if will be new and much stronger, especially in 4 Wheeling conditions.

Any input from those aware of this condition? Jeep has discontinued this diveline...

singleytools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
singleytools
1998 ZJ 

Cost for repair

I found 6-States in Salt Lake City to rebuild my driveline for $250 and about $25 in shipping from about 2 hours here in Idaho. The wrecking yards wanted $180 for a used one that would put me back in the same place. They were great with their info. We shall see how it all turns out
singleytools is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

searching a bit on this forum would have yielded some great info.
Some say a simple 2" BB can destroy the CV front driveshaft, most lift kits actually recommend swapping the CV style for a normal u-joint.
but again, this is pretty typical for the CV style.
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

CV style driveshaft blowing up is all part of lifting a ZJ, and they grenade even faster if you take it on the trails. You can find a used one pretty cheap at a u-pull it, so I'm sure if you drive you can locate something to patch it up for now relatively cheap. That stated, you need to start looking for a front yoke and a U-joint front driveshaft if you're going to keep wheeling.

If you're paying your builder make sure they're including and installing the yoke too. Unfortunately, the yoke for the CV and yoke for the U-joints are different, so you absolutely need to change the one on your front axle. There's lots of write-ups on this and it's a relatively simple procedure to DIY. As for having it re-built, for that price I'd spend the extra $25 and just get a Tom Woods shaft.... then install the yoke and DS myself. You will need to find the yoke first to see what the final length will be for your driveshaft though.
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I blew mine out with a 2" BB. Went to a junkyard and pulled a front U joint double cardon DS from another ZJ and had a shop put a new yoke in. 100 bucks plus 15 for the ds.
picture-7.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
driveline , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.